Akai videotape format
Akai X-5000VT 1/4 inch VTR at DC Video
|Media type||Magnetic tape|
|Encoding||NTSC, PAL, SECAM|
|Read mechanism||Helical scan|
|Write mechanism||Helical scan|
1/4 inch Akai is a portable Helical scan EIA and CCIR analog recording VTR. Akai 1/4 inch VTR had two video record heads on the scanner. The units had an optional RF modulator to play back to a TV set as well as a detachable Video monitor. Akai Electric Ltd. VTR plant was in Tokyo, Japan.
Early B&W models
- Akai model # VTS-100 came out in 1967 it was a B&W portable VTR with a one tube camera.
- The next models VTS-110 and VTS-120 had much the same specs:
- One 2/3" Vidicon video camera
In fact Akai produce two kinds of black and white VTR using 1/4 inches tape. Portables with open reel of 13 cm diameter (VT100/110/120) and only one stationary model with 21 cm open reel called VT700. The model shown here X500VT was sold only in Japan and USA in very few quantity.
- Akai model # VTS-150 came out in 1974. It recorded Composite video on 1/4 inch reel-to-reel videotape. Could record and play back B&W or color. Came with a hand-held two-tube camera with a zoom lens. The system was very small and lightweight for its time. The VTR with the Video camera was only 22 pounds. One cable to connect the ENG camera to the VTR for power, video and the Microphone audio. This model was available in NTSC, PAL and SECAM.
- S/N >40 db
- Playback about 230-lines of Image resolution
- Capstan Tape speed (EIA NTSC) 254.27 mm/s - 10 inches a second/ (CCIR PAL or SECAM) 217.97 mm/s
- Record 26 min. on a 5 inch reel (NTSC) or 30 min. (PAL or SECAM)
- One Audio track
- One Control track
- Weight 16.4 lb.
- Used 32 Watts of power
- on Battery ran about 40 min.
- Size 10.5"x14.2"x5.6"
- Camera NTSC, PAL and SECAM:
- S/N >40 db
- One 2/3" Vidicon
- One Chroma Tube, an Akai dissector tube
- 1.5" VF - Viewfinder
- Lens: 6x - (1.5 to 75mm)
- 300-lines of resolution
- To use without the VTR, CCU-150 powered the camera with 12v DC.
- CCU-150 had the RF output and Genlock sync in.
- Weight 5.76 lb.
- Size 3.5"x9.3"x13.2"
- Microphone audio, 600 ohms
- Akai VK VTRs
- VTS-100 in PDF
- labguysworld.com Akai VTS-110
- labguysworld.com Akai VTS-110 page 2
- labguysworld.com Akai VTS-120
- labguysworld.com VT-100 pictures
- labguysworld.com VT-120 pictures
- labguysworld.com VT-150 pictures
- mardersteig.mynetcologne.de 1972: Akai Portable VTR and Camera