Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad
|Headquarters||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|Dr Nagesh Thakur|
National General Secretary
|Part of a series on|
Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) (English: All Indian Student Council), is a right-wing all-India student organisation working in the field of education. The ABVP was founded in 1948 and formally registered on 9 July 1949  and is the largest student union of India.
The ABVP was started by students in 1948, a year after Indian Independence, with the objective of channeling students' energy toward the task of national reconstruction. It was founded by a group of students and teachers, and was registered on 9 July 1949. Its growth process was slow and sporadic in its first few years, but accelerated after Professor Yeshwantrao Kelkar, a lecturer in Bombay, became its main organiser in 1958. He built the organisation into what it is now, and is considered to be the real architect of the ABVP.
The ABVP gradually spread its work across various universities in India. Contrary to the popular perception that it is the student wing of BJP, ABVP is actually the student wing of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh(RSS). It was founded before BJP. However, it participates in joint activities with BJP's official youth wing Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha.
||This article possibly contains original research. (December 2013)|
The group runs projects and programmes aimed at national integration and using social consciousness to solve economic and other problems. They also run programmes designed to improve the abilities of individual students, including:
- Students' Vacation Employment Bureau
- First Class First Felicitation functions
- Inter-collegiate and inter-university music competitions
- Painting competitions
- Literary competitions
- Student writers' meets
- Sports meets
- Social participation camps
- Personality development camps
- Technical, Medical, Management, and Agri student workshops
- Technical exhibitions
- Indo-foreign Students' Bureau
- Study circles and art circles
- My Home is India
It also campaigns for educational and university reforms and competes in student-body elections in colleges and universities to achieve these goals.
Forums initiated by ABVP
- World Organisation of Students and Youth (WOSY)
- Students for Development (SFD)
- Student's Experience in Interstate Living (SEIL)
Areas of influence
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (May 2015)|
The ABVP has a strong base in the universities in Delhi and North India. It includes students from all the academic institutions of India - from schools to colleges, from professional institutions to research academies. ABVP also have strong base in universities like University of Hyderabad, University of Delhi, Himachal Pradesh, Rajasthan.
Controversies, attacks and vandalism
ABVP has been in news regularly due to its violent strategies and right-wing extremism.
- 23 April, 2011 : Student activists of ABVP attacked the anchors of MTV's Roadies show in Pune.
- 18 August, 2011 : ABVP cadres ransack missionary school over Anna protest in Jharkhand.
- 26 January, 2012 : ABVP membres set ablaze reels of Telugu film 'Businessman (film)' on the Osmania University campus.
- 29 January, 2012 : ABVP protested against the screening of Sanjay Kak's documentary Jashn-e-Azadi, forcing Symbiosis College of Arts and Commerce, Pune to indefinitely postpone the seminar Voices of Kashmir.
- 14 April, 2012 : ABVP members attacked Beef Festival in Osmania University.
- 24 August, 2013 : After the screening of Jai Bhim Comrade and the performance by Kabir Kala Manch, ABVP attacked students of Film and Television Institute of India, Pune and KKM members blaming them as Naxalite, and asked them to say Jai Narendra Modi.
- 7 September, 2013 : A Kashmiri film fest was targeted by the group of right wing extremists in Hyderabad. A group of ABVP workers entered the venue just few hours after the programme started and indulged in vandalism.
- 30 December, 2014 : PK film was abstructed by ABVP.
- Hindu nationalism
- Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh
- World Organization of Students and Youth
- All Assam Gorkha Students Union - AAGSU
- Foundation; retrieved 31 March 2011
-  retrieved on 5 September 2014
- "retrieved 31 January 2012 ABVP leaders". Abvp.org. Retrieved 2013-05-06.
- "ABVP history". Abvp.org. Retrieved 2013-05-06.
- ABVP largest in world
- "ABVP not a student wing of mim". Indiatoday.intoday.in. 2011-10-13. Retrieved 2013-05-06.
- ABVP leaders
- "Protests by BJYM, ABVP mar ICET counselling". The Hindu.
- "BJYM, ABVP protest against incursion by Chinese - JK Newspoint Newspaper Jammu Kashmir". jknewspoint.com.
- "ABVP educational reforms". Thehindu.com. 2012-09-11. Retrieved 2013-05-06.
- "Students For Development (SFD)". studentsfordevelopment.org.
- "ABVP activists blacken faces of MTV Roadies anchors". NDTV. 2011-04-23. Retrieved 2014-03-04.
- "ABVP activists blacken MTV anchor's face". The Hindu. 2011-04-24. Retrieved 2014-03-04.
- "Jharkhand: ABVP cadres ransack missionary school over Anna protest". India Today. 2011-08-19. Retrieved 2014-03-04.
- "'Businessman' reels burnt by ABVP men". IBN-Live. 2012-01-27. Retrieved 2014-03-04.
- "Kashmir seminar postponed after ABVP protest". NDTV. 2012-01-30. Retrieved 2014-03-04.
- "In Jaipur replay, university bows to ABVP film fatwa". The Hindu. 2012-02-28. Retrieved 2014-03-04.
- "ABVP pushes Symbiosis University to call off seminar on Kashmir". India Today. 2012-01-30. Retrieved 2014-03-04.
- "Violence in Osmania University as right wing students groups attack Beef Festival of Dalit students". India Today. 2012-04-15. Retrieved 2014-03-04.
- "ABVP thrashes FTII student for not saying ‘Jai Narendra Modi’". The Hindu. 2013-08-24. Retrieved 2014-03-04.
- "Right-wing hooligans and a complicit State". The Sunday Guardian. 2013-08-24. Retrieved 2014-03-04.
- "Right wing activists target Kashmiri film fest in Hyderabad". IBN-Live. 2013-09-07. Retrieved 2014-03-04.
- "PK row: ABVP burns Aamir Khan's effigy in Muzaffarnagar". Times of India. December 30, 2014. Retrieved May 29, 2015.
- "Обновление FLV Player". Abvp.org. Retrieved 2013-05-06.
- ABVP (2005-12-24). "Resolutions".
- "ABVP urges policy to stop commercialisation of education". Deccan Herald. 2005-12-24.
- "ABVP Karyakartas take up Tsunami Relief Work".
- "ABVP protests against attacks on Indians in Australia".