August 27, 1982
|Height||5 ft 8 in (1.73 m)|
|Weight||145 lb (66 kg; 10.4 st)|
|Reach||67 in (170 cm)|
|Fighting out of||New York City, New York|
|Team||Renzo Gracie Combat Team|
black belt in Tae Kwon Do
Purple belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Hamid Khorassani (Persian: حمید خراسانی; born August 27, 1982), professionally known as Akira Corassani, is a Swedish mixed martial artist of Iranian decent who´s currently competing as a featherweight in the Ultimate Fighting Championship. A professional MMA competitor since 2007, Corassani has made a name for himself fighting mainly in Western Europe. He was a competitor on Spike TV's The Ultimate Fighter: Team Bisping vs. Team Miller as a member of Team Bisping.
Corassani began martial arts when he was six years old. He also started playing football at the age of 14 and that was his focus in life until he began MMA at the age of 22. Corassani is vegan. Corassani speaks seven different languages: Swedish, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Persian, Azeri and Turkish.
Corassani began fighting professionally in 2007, and traveling all across Europe to compete. He built a record of 9–3 (1 NC) before his UFC debut. Currently, he is training in New York with Renzo Gracie Combat Team.
The Ultimate Fighter
In 2011, Corassani had signed with the UFC to compete on The Ultimate Fighter: Team Bisping vs. Team Miller. In the first episode, Corassani fought Brian Pearman to gain entry into the Ultimate Fighter house. Corassani defeated Pearman in the first round via KO. Corassani was selected as a part of Team Bisping, he was the second featherweight chosen for the team (fifth overall).
In episodes three through five, Corassani was shown multiple times in altercations with Team Mayhem fighter, Dustin Neace. The two would later be paired in a bout against each other in the preliminary round. During the fight, inside the first round, Neace applied a heel hook submission that looked like Corassani tapped to; however referee Herb Dean did not stop the fight and Corassani was released from the hold. Corassani went on to defeat Neace via a majority decision after two rounds. After the win Corassani moved onto the semi-finals.
Corassani was chosen to fight Team Mayhem fighter, Dennis Bermudez, in the semi-final round. The fight would determine who would move into the final round of the featherweight tournament. Though Corassani controlled throughout the fight with effective striking, scoring several knockdowns, Corassani lost the fight via submission (guillotine choke) in the first round. When the referee stopped the fight Akira had lost consciousness and had to be told that he lost the fight.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Though Corassani lost in the semi-final round, and did not win the show, he signed an exclusive deal with the UFC. He was set to make his debut on December 3, 2011 at The Ultimate Fighter 14 Finale against Steven Siler. However, after an injury in training camp, Corassani was forced to pull out of the bout and was replaced by newcomer Josh Clopton.
Corassani faced Maximo Blanco on November 30, 2013 at The Ultimate Fighter 18 Finale. Early in the opening round Blanco landed an illegal knee to the head of Corassani when he had a knee and hand on the ground. Corassani was unable to continue, so he was rendered with the victory by disqualification. It was later revealed that the illegal knee had broken his nose in five different places.
Corassani faced Dustin Poirier at The Ultimate Fighter Nations Finale. He lost the back-and-forth fight via TKO in the second round. He was awarded his first Fight of the Night bonus for his efforts.
Corassani was expected to face Chan Sung Jung on October 4, 2014 at UFC Fight Night 53. However, Jung pulled out of the bout citing a strained shoulder. and was replaced by Max Holloway. Corassani lost the fight via knockout in the first round.
Championships and Accomplishments
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|18 matches||12 wins||5 losses|
|Loss||12–5 (1)||Max Holloway||KO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Nelson vs. Story||October 4, 2014||1||3:11||Stockholm, Sweden|
|Loss||12–4 (1)||Dustin Poirier||TKO (punches)||The Ultimate Fighter Nations Finale: Bisping vs. Kennedy||April 16, 2014||2||0:42||Quebec City, Quebec, Canada||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||12–3 (1)||Maximo Blanco||DQ (illegal knee)||The Ultimate Fighter 18 Finale||November 30, 2013||1||0:25||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||An illegal knee rendered Corassani unable to continue.|
|Win||11–3 (1)||Robbie Peralta||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fuel TV: Mousasi vs. Latifi||April 6, 2013||3||5:00||Stockholm, Sweden|
|Win||10–3 (1)||Andy Ogle||Decision (split)||UFC on Fuel TV: Struve vs. Miocic||September 29, 2012||3||5:00||Nottingham, England||Featherweight debut.|
|Loss||9–3 (1)||Paul Reed||TKO (punches)||The Zone FC 8||February 26, 2011||2||3:28||Gothenburg, Sweden|
|Win||9–2 (1)||Graham Turner||Decision (unanimous)||Superior Challenge 6||October 29, 2010||3||5:00||Stockholm, Sweden|
|Win||8–2 (1)||Martin Begley||Submission (scissor choke)||Vision Fighting Championship 1||August 28, 2010||1||4:28||Karlstad Municipality, Sweden|
|Win||7–2 (1)||Ivan Buchinger||Decision (unanimous)||Battle of Botnia 2||December 12, 2009||3||5:00||Umeå, Sweden|
|Win||6–2 (1)||Peter Mettler||TKO (punches)||Superior Challenge 4||October 31, 2009||1||3:42||Stockholm, Sweden|
|NC||5–2 (1)||Felipe Enomoto||No Contest (overturned)||Gods of War 5||September 12, 2009||3||5:00||Baumholder, Germany||Decision for Enomoto; overturned for undisclosed reasons.|
|Win||5–2||Dominique Stetefeld||Submission (arm-triangle choke)||La Onda Fight Night 2||May 23, 2009||3||5:00||Magdeburg, Germany|
|Win||4–2||Grzegorz Tredowski||Decision (unanimous)||United Glory 10||November 9, 2008||3||5:00||Arnhem, Netherlands|
|Loss||3–2||Darin Hughes||TKO (punches)||Superior Challenge 1||April 5, 2008||2||4:10||Stockholm, Sweden||Lightweight Debut|
|Win||3–1||Jukka Kuitunen||Decision (unanimous)||Shooto Chicago Collision III||November 17, 2007||2||5:00||Lahti, Finland|
|Win||2–1||Raymond Jarman||Submission (triangle choke)||United Glory 5||September 9, 2007||2||N/A||Amersfoort, Netherlands|
|Win||1–1||Jaroslav Poborsky||Decision (unanimous)||Gods of War 1||July 28, 2007||3||5:00||Erdesbach, Germany||Welterweight debut|
|Loss||0–1||Dion Staring||TKO (corner stoppage)||United Glory 3||May 20, 2007||2||2:52||Amersfoort, Netherlands||Light Heavyweight bout|
Mixed martial arts exhibition record
|Professional record breakdown|
|3 matches||2 wins||1 loss|
|Loss||2-1||Dennis Bermudez||Submission (guillotine choke)||The Ultimate Fighter: Team Bisping vs. Team Miller||1||3:12||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Semi-finals.|
|Win||2–0||Dustin Neace||Decision (majority)||The Ultimate Fighter: Team Bisping vs. Team Miller||2||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Quarter-finals.|
|Win||1–0||Biran Pearman||KO (punches)||The Ultimate Fighter: Team Bisping vs. Team Miller||1||4:17||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Preliminary bout.|
Amateur mixed martial arts record
|Win||1–0||Henrik Olsen||Decision (unanimous)||Frederikssund Brawl 2||May 27, 2006||3||5:00||Frederikssund, Denmark|
- "Fight Card - TUF 18 Live Finale on FOX Sports 1". UFC.com. Retrieved April 17, 2014.
- http://mma.xtremetweet.com/Akira_Corassani - MMA Xtreme Tweet Retrieved 2013-04-22.
- "Hamidreza Khorassani MMA Stats". Sherdog.com. Retrieved 2011-10-26.
- "Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 14 cast announced for 'Team Miller vs Team Bisping' on Sept. 21". MMAMania.com. Retrieved 2011-10-26.
- "Episode No. 3 recap: 'The Ultimate Fighter 14: Team Bisping vs. Team Miller'". MMAJunkie.com. Retrieved 2011-10-26.
- "Episode No. 4 recap: 'The Ultimate Fighter 14: Team Bisping vs. Team Miller'". MMAJunkie.com. Retrieved 2011-10-26.
- "Episode No. 5 recap: 'The Ultimate Fighter 14: Team Bisping vs. Team Miller'". MMAJunkie.com. Retrieved 2011-10-26.
- "'TUF 14' cast member Akira Khorassani: 'If I tapped, my knee wouldn't even be stable'". MMAJunkie.com. Retrieved 2011-10-26.
- "TUF 14 add 145ers Brimage-Bass, Siler-Clopton, Caraway-Neace". mmajunkie.com. 2011-12-01.
- "Akira Corassani vs. Jason Young added to UFC on FUEL TV 2". MMAJunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-01-11.
- "Injured Akira Corassani out of UFC on FUEL TV 2 in Sweden". mmajunkie.com. February 16, 2012.
- "UFC heading to Nottingham Sept. 29 with Ogle-Corassani". mmajunkie. Retrieved 11 June 2012.
- Bohn, Mike (January 4, 2013). "Robbie Peralta vs. Akira Corassani featherweight bout added to February's UFC 156". mmamania.com.
- John Morgan and Steven Marrocco (January 20, 2013). "Akira Corassani vs. Robbie Peralta targeted for UFC on FUEL TV 9 in Sweden". MMAJunkie.com.
- "Mike Brown vs. Akira Corassani set for UFC on FOX Sports 1 1 in Boston". mmajunkie.com. May 31, 2013.
- Staff (2013-07-01). "Akira Corassani off UFC on FOX Sports 1 1 card, Steven Siler meets Mike Brown". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-07-01.
- "Maximo Blanco meets Akira Corassani at TUF 18 Finale in Las Vegas". mmajunkie.com. 2013-09-28.
- "Akira Corassani's nose broken in five places due to illegal knee". mmajunkie.com. 2013-12-01.
- Staff (2014-02-28). "Dustin Poirier meets Akira Corassani at TUF Nations Finale". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-02-28.
- "TUF Nations Finale bonuses: Poirier-Corassani earn Fight of the Night". mmajunkie.com. 2014-04-16.
- Jesse Holland (2014-08-09). "Akira Corasani vs. Chan Sung Jung official for UFC Fight Night 53 on Oct. 4 in Sweden". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2014-08-09.
- LeeLi (2014-08-26). "Korean Zombie Chan Sung Jung out of Oct. 4th match with Akira Corassani due to injury". mma-in-asia.com. Retrieved 2013-08-26.
- Staff (2014-08-28). "Max Holloway in for 'Zombie' vs. Akira Corassani at UFC Fight Night 53 in Sweden". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-08-28.
- Lee W (2014-12-04). "Akira Corassani vs Sam Sicilia joins UFC on FOX 14 lineup". mmacrazytv.com. Retrieved 2014-12-04.
- "TUF Nations Finale bonuses: Poirier, Corassani, Noons, Jimmo earn $50K awards". sherdog.com. 2014-04-16.
- "MMAJunkie's Fight of the Month for April 2014". mmajunkie.com. 2014-05-03.