||This article may contain improper references to self-published sources. (September 2011)|
|Launched||25 October 2005|
|Alexa rank||4,398 (April 2014[update])|
Akismet or Automattic Kismet [sic] is a spam filtering service. It attempts to filter link spam from blog comments and spam TrackBack pings. The filter works by combining information about spam captured on all participating blogs, and then using those spam rules to block future spam. Akismet is offered by Automattic, the corporation which employs most of the main developers of the free software weblog platform WordPress.
Akismet was originally developed to integrate with a plugin for WordPress. It is now included by default in all WordPress builds since version 2.0 and activated in all WordPress.com-hosted blogs. A public Akismet API has resulted in third-party plugins for other platforms.
Development and distribution
Released under the terms of the GNU General Public License, the Akismet plugin is free software, although the code to the Akismet system itself (and the nature of the algorithm used) has not been released.
The Akismet service is free for personal use. To use Akismet with non-WordPress.com sites, it is necessary to obtain an API key. The API key is necessary in order for the site to communicate with the Akismet servers.
- "Akismet.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-04-01.
- "Live Live". Akismet. Retrieved 2011-07-01.
- "Our 2013 In Review". Akismet. Archived from the original on 21 Feb 2014. Retrieved 2013-12-27.
- Scott Berkun (10 September 2013). The Year Without Pants: WordPress.com and the Future of Work. Wiley. ISBN 978-1-118-66063-8.
- Akismet FAQ: Who's behind this?
- "Other Application Plugins". Akismet. Archived from the original on 19 January 2007. Retrieved 2007-01-17.
- "Akismet plugin source in GPL WordPress plugin directory".