Akuji the Heartless
|Akuji the Heartless|
Akuji the Heartless is an action-adventure video game developed by Crystal Dynamics and published by Eidos Interactive. It was released exclusively for the PlayStation on December 31, 1998 in North America and February 1999 in Europe. It uses a modified engine from Crystal Dynamics's other video game called Gex: Enter the Gecko. The game received mixed reviews from critics upon its release.
The game centres on the voodoo priest and warrior Akuji (voiced by Richard Roundtree), who had his heart ripped out on his wedding day, and through the use of voodoo magic is now cursed to wander the Underworld.
However, Kaisha, his would-be bride, finds him in hell and speaks to him in soul form: she informs him that it was Orad, Akuji's own brother, who orchestrated his murder.
She begs Akuji to escape and stop him, as their families are preparing for war, and Orad is preparing to sacrifice her to the gods.
Upon traveling through the first level of the Underworld and consulting loa Baron Samedi Akuji discovers he has a chance for redemption: if he traverses hell and collects the souls of his ancestors, which the Baron despises for their evil, then he will grant Akuji safe passage out of the underworld.
On his way through, he must also defeat the wardens of each of the spirit gates, which will enable him to advance on his quest for the souls.
- "Akuji the Heartless for PlayStation". GameRankings. Retrieved 2014-02-15.
- Romero, Joshua. "Akuji the Heartless - Review". Allgame. Retrieved 2014-02-15.
- Fulljames, Stephen (2001-08-15). "PlayStation Review: Akuji the Heartless". Computer and Video Games. Archived from the original on 2008-06-10. Retrieved 2014-02-15.
- Edge staff (February 1999). "Akuji the Heartless". Edge (68).
- "Akuji The Heartless - PlayStation". Game Informer (71). March 1999. Archived from the original on 2001-01-16. Retrieved 2014-02-15.
- Air Hendrix (1999). "Akuji The Heartless Review for PlayStation on GamePro.com". GamePro. Archived from the original on 2005-02-09. Retrieved 2014-02-15.
- Mark (March 1999). "Akuji the Heartless Review". Game Revolution. Retrieved 2014-02-15.
- Garrett, Steven (1999-01-25). "Akuji the Heartless Review". GameSpot. Retrieved 2014-02-15.
- Nelson, Randy (1999-01-20). "Akuji The Heartless". IGN. Retrieved 2014-02-15.
- "Akuji the Heartless". Official U.S. PlayStation Magazine. 1999.
- "Review: Akuji the Heartless". PSM. 1999.
|This action-adventure game article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Eidos Interactive-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|