Aminu with the New Orleans Hornets
|No. 0 – Dallas Mavericks|
September 21, 1990 |
|Nationality||American / Nigerian|
|Listed height||6 ft 9 in (2.06 m)|
|Listed weight||215 lb (98 kg)|
|High school||Norcross (Norcross, Georgia)|
|College||Wake Forest (2008–2010)|
|NBA draft||2010 / Round: 1 / Pick: 8th overall|
|Selected by the Los Angeles Clippers|
|2010–2011||Los Angeles Clippers|
|2011–2014||New Orleans Hornets/Pelicans|
|Career highlights and awards|
Al-Farouq Ajiede Aminu (born September 21, 1990) is an American-Nigerian professional basketball forward with the Dallas Mavericks of the National Basketball Association (NBA). He plays internationally with the Nigeria national basketball team. Aminu was selected by the Los Angeles Clippers in the 2010 NBA draft with the 8th overall pick.
High school career
Aminu transferred to Norcross between his freshman and sophomore years from Wesleyan School but was ruled ineligible and had to play on Norcross' jv team his sophomore year. In his junior year, Aminu and teammate Gani Lawal led Norcross to a 30–3 record and a #12 national seed. Aminu averaged 13.7 points and 9.5 rebounds per game in his junior year. He led Norcross to back to back Georgia 5A state titles in 2007 and 2008. He averaged 23.1 points and 11.2 rebounds a game as a senior. Norcross finished 29–2 and ranked #6 in 2008. Aminu was a member of the 2008 McDonald's All-American Team and played in the Jordan Brand Classic where he had 12 points and 13 rebounds.
As a freshman during the 2008–09 season, he was a unanimous selection for the ACC All-Freshman Team. Aminu posted 10 double-doubles on the year, including five in conference action. He led all freshmen and ranked sixth in the ACC with 8.3 rebounds per game. Aminu was also second among all league rookies with 13.0 points per contest.
On December 14, 2011, the Clippers traded Aminu, Chris Kaman, Eric Gordon and a 2012 first-round pick (previously acquired from the Minnesota Timberwolves) to the New Orleans Hornets in exchange for Chris Paul and two future second-round picks.
NBA career statistics
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field goal percentage||3P%||3-point field goal percentage||FT%||Free throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||Bold||Career high|
- 2009 Sporting News All-Freshman Team
- 2009 ACC All-Freshman Team (unanimous selection)
- 2009 Runner-up for ACC Freshman of the Year
- 2009 ACC Freshman of the Week (five separate selections)
- 2008 Named the Atlanta Tipoff Club's Mr. Georgia Basketball
- 2008 Named to the first team all-state by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution
- 2008 McDonald's All American East Squad
- 2008 Jordan Brand All-American Classic
- Scout.com College Football Team Recruiting Prospects
- Hoops - Al-Farouq Aminu ruled Ineligible
- Jordan Brand Classic Stats
- Al-Farouq Aminu Declares for NBA Draft
- "HORNETS ACQUIRE GORDON, AMINU, KAMAN AND FIRST ROUND PICK". NBA.com (Turner Sports Interactive, Inc.). December 14, 2011. Retrieved December 15, 2011.
- "MAVERICKS SIGN FREE AGENT AL-FAROUQ AMINU". mavs.com. July 29, 2014. Retrieved July 29, 2014.
- Al-Farouq Aminu Bio