|Other names (Eng.)||The Cheats, Cheating, The Defrauders, The Stinters|
Sūrat al-Muṭaffifīn (Arabic: سورة المطففين, "The Defrauders") is the 83rd sura of the Qur'an with 36 ayat. Ibn Abbas is known for his knowledge of traditions as well as his critical interpretation of the Qur'an. From early on, he gathered information from other companions of Muhammad and gave classes and wrote commentaries. According to him "When the Prophet Muhammad (pbud) came to Al-Madinah, they were the worst people in weights and measures. Then Allah, Glorious is He revealed: "Woe to the Mutaffifun (those who give less in measure and weight)", and they were fair in weights and measures after that. According to Abdullah ibn Masud, Muhammed used to recite two equal surahs in one rak'ah; he would recite (for instance) An-Naziat (79) in one rak'ah, surahs al-Mutaffifin (83) and Sūrat al-ʿAbasa (80) in one rak'ah.
- "'Abd Allah ibn al-'Abbas". Encyclopedia Britannica. I: A-Ak - Bayes (15th ed.). Chicago, IL: Encyclopedia Britannica, Inc. 2010. p. 16. ISBN 978-1-59339-837-8.
- Sunan ibn Majah, The Chapters on Business Transactions Grade: Hasan (Darussalam); English reference: Vol. 3, Book 12, Hadith 2223; Arabic reference: Book 12, Hadith 2308
- Sunan Abu Dawood 1396; in-book reference: Book 6, Hadith 26; English translation: Book 6, Hadith 1391
|Wikisource has original text related to this article:|
- Surah Al-Mutaffifin (Complete text in Arabic with English and French translations)
- Al-Mutaffifin at Sacred Texts
|Surah 83||Next sura: