House of Sabah
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
The House of Sabah (Arabic: آل صباح Al Sabah) is the ruling family of Kuwait. They originate from the Utub federation which migrated to Kuwait in the early 18th century. After reaching Kuwait, they entered in an alliance with the other families such as Al-Khalifa and Al Jalahma.
The Emir of Kuwait is the head of the executive branch. He is nominated by a family council headed by the most senior and prominent members of the Al-Sabah. The leadership is not strictly hereditary and, although some emirs have succeeded their fathers, the family chooses the leader from each succeeding generation. For example, the late Jaber Al-Sabah appointed his cousin, Sheikh Saad, as heir apparent.
The Kuwaiti parliament (per Article 3 of the Constitution) has the constitutional right to approve and disapprove of an emir's appointment, and the authority to remove an Emir from his post. The parliament effectively removed Saad al-Sabah from his post in 2006 due to his illness.
Some but not all members of the monarchy receive a monthly stipend from the Amiri Diwan. The prime minister, who can be any Kuwaiti citizen, is appointed by the Emir of Kuwait.
- 1st Ruler: Sheikh Sabah I bin Jaber: 1756–1763
- 2nd Ruler: Sheikh Abdullah I: 1763–1813
- 3rd Ruler: Sheikh Jaber I: 1813–1859
- 4th Ruler: Sheikh Sabah II: 1859–1866
- 5th Ruler: Sheikh Abdallah II: 1866–1893
- 6th Ruler: Sheikh Muhammad Al-Sabah: 1893–1896
- 7th Ruler: Sheikh Mubarak Al-Sabah: 1896–1915
- 8th Ruler: Sheikh Jaber II: 1915–1917
- 9th Ruler: Sheikh Salim Al-Mubarak Al-Sabah: 1917–1921
- 10th Ruler: Sheikh Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah: 1921–1950
- 11th Ruler and 1st Emir: Sheikh Abdullah Al-Salim Al-Sabah: 1950–1965
- 12th Ruler and 2nd Emir: Sheikh Sabah Al-Salim Al-Sabah: 1965–1977
- 13th Ruler and 3rd Emir: Sheikh Jaber Al-Ahmad Al-Sabah: 1977–2006
- 14th Ruler and 4th Emir: Sheikh Saad Al-Salim Al-Sabah: (15 January 2006 – 29 January 2006)
- 15th Ruler and 5th Emir: Sheikh Sabah Al-Sabah, the Emir of the State of Kuwait: (2006–present)
The governing branches of the Al-Sabah dynasty
Succession to the throne of Kuwait is limited to the descendants of Mubarak Al-Sabah. The reigning emir must appoint an heir apparent within one year of his accession to the throne; the nomination must be approved by the majority of members of the National Assembly.
The Heir Apparent or Crown Prince has to be a senior member of the Al-Sabah Family. The position of Emir is also traditionally alternated between the two main branches of the Al-Sabah family, the Al-Ahmed and Al-Salem branches. The Prime Minister is appointed by the Emir.
Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah (of the Al-Ahmed branch), emir as of 2014[update], appointed his half-brother Nawaf Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah Crown Prince and their half-nephew Nasser Al-Mohammed Al-Ahmed Al-Sabah, in a move which broke the tradition of alternating the throne.
The situation then changed because other offspring were posted to the most important Ministries.
The elder of the three brothers, Abdullah II Al-Sabah, the 5th ruler of Kuwait is descended from Commander Jaber Al-Abdullah II Al-Sabah (b.1860–d.1920), killed in the Battle of Jahra and Abdullah Jaber Al-Abdullah II Al-Sabah (b.1898–d.1996), also killed in battle.
Al-Sabah hierarchy and lineage
Events since 2006
Saad Al-Abdullah Al-Salim Al-Sabah was removed by parliamentary action after a prolonged stalemate following the death of the previous Emir, Sheikh Jaber Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah, on 15 January 2006. He was earlier offered the chance to abdicate after taking power provisionally as stipulated by the constitution, but his inability to recite the oath of office prevented his ratification by parliament.
Prime Minister Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah was nominated for the post of emir by invoking Article 3 of the Kuwaiti Constitution. He was sworn in on 29 January 2006 and continued to rule as of 2014[update].
The emir nominated his brother Nawaf Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah as Crown Prince, and his nephew Sheikh Nasser Al-Mohammed Al-Ahmed Al-Sabah|Nasser Al-Sabah as Prime Minister.
Titles and official protocol designations
As of 2014[update]: Emir: Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah
Crown Prince: Nawaf Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah
Prime Minister: Jaber Al-Mubarak Al-Hamad Al-Sabah
- Mubarak Al-Sabah (b.1837 – d.1915) 
- 7th Monarch Ruler (1896-1915)
- Salim Al-Mubarak Al-Sabah (b.1864-d.1921)
- 9th Monarch Ruler (1917-1921)
- Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah (b.1885–d.1950)
- 10th Monarch Ruler (1921-1950)
- Abdullah III Al-Salim Al-Sabah (b.1895-d.1965)
- 11th Monarch Ruler and 1st Emir (1950-1965) with the independence of Kuwait in 1961
- Salem Al-Ali Al-Sabah (b.1926–present)
- Jaber Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah (b.1926–d.2006)
- 13th Monarch Ruler and 3rd Emir (1977-2006)
- Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah (b.1929–present)
- 15th Monarch Ruler and 5th Emir (2006-present)
- Saad Al-Abdullah Al-Salim Al-Sabah (b.1930–d.2008)
- 14th Monarch Ruler and 4th Emir (2006)
- Mubarak Abdullah Al-Jaber Al-Sabah (b.1934–d.1987).
- Nawaf Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah (b.1937–present)
- Official Crown Prince of Kuwait (2006-present)
- Salem Sabah Al-Salem Al-Sabah (b.1938–d.2007)
- Nasser Mohammed Al-Ahmed Al-Sabah (b.1940–present)
- Jaber Al-Mubarak Al-Hamad Al-Sabah (b.1942–present)
- Saud Nasser Al-Saud Al-Sabah (b.1944–d.2012)
- Fahad Al-Ahmed Al-Jaber Al-Sabah (b.1945–d.1990) †
- Ahmad Al Khalid Al Sabah(b.TBD-present)
- Sabah Al-Khalid Al-Sabah (b.1953-present)
- Muhammad Sabah Al-Salem Al-Sabah (b.1955-present)
- Mohammad Al Khalid Al Sabah (b.TBD–present)
- Khaled Al Jarrah Al Sabah (b.TBD–present)
- Ahmed Al-Fahad Al-Ahmed Al-Sabah (b.1963–present)
- Nayirah al-Sabah
- Al-Zain Sabah Al-Naser Al-Sabah, filmmaker
- Al Sabah: History and Genealogy of Kuwait’s Ruling Family 1752-1987 by Alan Rush (Ithaca Press, 1987)
- Burke’s Ruling Families of the World, Volume 2 (Burke’s Peerage, 1980), includes genealogies and essays on Al-Sabah (Kuwait)
- Records of Kuwait ed., Alan Rush (8 vols. Archive Editions, 1989)
-  Al-Diwan Al-Amiri;Al-Sabah Rulers of Kuwait
-  Al-Diwan Al-Amiri; Al-Sabah Rulers of Kuwait
-  Kuwait National Guard, Sheikh Salem Al-Ali Al-Sabah, National Guard Chief and Commander (Section Arabic Read الحرس الوطني)
- , Kuwait History
- , Kuwaiti Ministry of Defense,(Section Arabic Read الجيش الكويتي)
- Article listing positions of a few Sabah's
- Detailed Genealogy of the Sabah family
- Former emir dies in Kuwait