|Date of depopulation||May 18, 1948|
|Cause(s) of depopulation||Fear of being caught up in the fighting|
|Current localities||'En Tzurim, Shafir, Zerachya, Nir Banim|
Al-Sawafir al-Sharqiyya was a Palestinian Arab village in the Gaza Subdistrict. It was depopulated during the 1948 War on May 18, 1948, as part of the second stage of Operation Barak. The village was located 32 km northeast of Gaza.
In 1945, it had a population of 970. The village shared a school with the other two Sawafir villages, and it had an enrollment of about 280 in 1945. The village had its own mosque.
- Morris, 2004, p.xix, village #285. Also gives the cause for depopulation, with a "?".
- Khalidi, 1992, p. 135
- Barron, J. B., ed. (1923). Palestine: Report and General Abstracts of the Census of 1922. Government of Palestine.
- Conder, Claude Reignier; Kitchener, H. H. (1882). The Survey of Western Palestine: Memoirs of the Topography, Orography, Hydrography, and Archaeology 2. London: Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund. (p. 413 )
- Guérin, Victor (1869). Description Géographique Historique et Archéologique de la Palestine.. 1: Judee, pt. 2. (p. 82 -84)
- Hadawi, Sami (1970). Village Statistics of 1945: A Classification of Land and Area ownership in Palestine. Palestine Liberation Organization Research Center.
- Khalidi, Walid (1992), All That Remains: The Palestinian Villages Occupied and Depopulated by Israel in 1948, Washington D.C.: Institute for Palestine Studies, ISBN 0-88728-224-5
- Mills, E., ed. (1932). Census of Palestine 1931. Population of Villages, Towns and Administrative Areas. Jerusalem: Government of Palestine.
- Morris, Benny (2004). The Birth of the Palestinian Refugee Problem Revisited. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-00967-6.
- Nasser, Gamal Abdul (1955/1973): "Memoirs" in Journal of Palestine Studies
- " “Memoirs of the First Palestine War” in 2, no. 2 (Win. 73): 3-32, pdf-file, downloadable
- Palmer, E. H. (1881). The Survey of Western Palestine: Arabic and English Name Lists Collected During the Survey by Lieutenants Conder and Kitchener, R. E. Transliterated and Explained by E.H. Palmer. Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund. (p. 274 )
- Varga, Daniel (5/8/2009): Es-Sawafir esh-Sharqiya (Shapira Center) Final Report, Hadashot Arkheologiyot, no.121
- Welcome To al-Sawafir al-Sharqiyya
- al-Sawafir al-Sharqiyya, from the Khalil Sakakini Cultural Center
- "My village was attacked and burned down": a Nakba survivor speaks, Electronic Intifada
|This geography of Palestine article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|