Al Deira Hotel
|Al Deira Hotel|
Sea view from Al Deira Hotel.
|Location||Gaza, Palestinian territories|
|Design and construction|
|Architect||Rashid Abdel Hamid|
|Number of rooms||22|
The Al Deira Hotel (Arabic: فندق الديرة غزة فلسطين) is a beach hotel located in Gaza. It was built in 2000 and has 22 rooms which feature high, domed ceilings and views of the Mediterranean. The hotel is regularly used by foreign journalists covering Gaza.
The architecture of this boutique hotel, built around an inner courtyard, has an ""Ottoman elegance." The style blends traditional Moroccan and Arab architecture with modern design influences. It is built with dark brown sun dried mud bricks, with white arches, vaulted and domed ceilings and hand crafted furniture. The architect was Rashid Abdel Hamid. The hotel also contains a notable bookshop.
The hotel has received a number of very positive reviews in Time magazine, by British journalist Alan Johnston and by Lonely Planet which describes the Al Deira as "swish, stylish and tightly run," and "without question the best hotel in town." Journalist Jeffrey Goldberg has said that in the evenings "it brimmed over with members of haute Palestine, that small clique of Gazans who earned more than negligible incomes. The men smoked apple-flavored tobacco from water pipes; the women, their heads covered, drank strong coffee and kept quiet."
The Al Deira's seaside café is popular with wealthy Gazan families, the men commonly smoke nargila on the terrace. It is busier in the evenings when a large numbers of patrons arrive to view the sunset over the Mediterranean.
- McGirk, Tim (1 July 2009). "The Gaza Strip's Diamond in the Rough". Time. Archived from the original on 12 July 2010. Retrieved 5 July 2010.
- "Foreigners kidnapped in Gaza, West Bank," 14 March 2006, Forbes.
- Lonely Planet Israel and the Palestinian Territories, Michael Kohn, Lonely Planet, 2007, p. 362.
- Shahin, Mariam, Azar, George, Palestine: a guide, p.55
- "Given time, I may feel stronger for what I went through," Alan Johnston, 17 November 2007, The Guardian. Archived 30 August 2010 at the Wayback Machine
- "Prisoners," Jeffrey Goldberg, 12 November 2006, New York Times.
- "UN Goodwill Ambassadors at Al Deira Hotel". Aldeira. Archived from the original on 14 May 2013.
- "For a few Gazans, wealth eases pain of year-long siege," Rafael D. Frankel, Correspondent of The Christian Science Monitor / 24 June 2008. Archived 13 December 2013 at the Wayback Machine
- "Hopes and dreams on the Gaza coast," Ayman Mohyeldin, 20 May 2009, Al Jazeera. Archived 26 May 2009 at the Wayback Machine