Al Farooj Fresh
|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from ; try the Find link tool for suggestions. (February 2009)|
|Type||Wholly owned subsidiary|
|Headquarters||United Arab Emirates|
|Parent||Al Islami Foods|
Al Farooj Fresh is an international chain of fast food restaurants based in the United Arab Emirates (UAE). Al Farooj Fresh was the first fast-casual restaurant chain in UAE that offered healthy food, such as shawerma sandwiches and chicken meals.[clarification needed]
Al-Farooj Fresh was founded by a Lebanese family in 1994, with the first branch opening at Sharjah in the United Arab Emirates that year. By 2006 the chain had expanded to a total of eight branches.
On February 25, 2006, at the Gulfood Exhibition held at the Dubai International Convention & Exhibition Centre, it was announced that Al Farooj was acquired by the Mohammed Bin Rashid Establishment for Young Business Leaders, an organisation launched in 2002 to encourage and facilitate the development of business and entrepreneurial activity among UAE nationals. The Establishment worked jointly with Al Islami to introduce the concept to UAE entrepreneurs after final approval of Al Islami on the franchisee selection.
In February, 2008, Al Islami acquired majority shares of the Al Farooj restaurant chain, relaunching the franchise later that month with plans to expand operations to serve the Middle Eastern market. Coinciding with the relaunch of Al Farooj Fresh, Al Islami announced plans to unveil their hospitality arm, of which Al Farooj Fresh was a major part of the portfolio – along with Al Islami Cart, Al Islami Meat Shops and a number of food products. The company's expansion continued into 2009, with Al Islami revealing that they would be expanding the Al Farooj chain to 17 branches with an investment of DHS 8 million (appx $2.2 million), providing them with 17 branches worldwide consisting of 14 in the UAE, 1 in Oman and 2 in Lebanon., and Kuwait.
- "Al Farooj Fresh". businessweek.com (Business Week). Retrieved 2009-05-16.
- Fenton, Suzanne (February 25, 2008). "New restaurant chain promotes halal fast-food". gulfnews.com (Gulf News). Retrieved 2009-05-16.
- "Al Farooj Restaurant invests Dhs8 million into UAE expansion". albawaba.com (Al Bawaba). March 17, 2009. Retrieved 2009-05-16.
- "History and Expansion". alfarooj.com. Al Farooj. Retrieved 2009-05-16.
- "Mohammed Bin Rashid awards". smeawards.ae. SME Awards. Archived from the original on 26 April 2009. Retrieved 2009-05-16.
- "What's new in your industry: Food, beverages and tobacco: UAE". Business Middle East 16 (6): 7. March 16, 2008.
- "Al Islami Foods set to unveil hospitality arm". khaleejtimes.com. Khaleej Times. February 23, 2008. Retrieved 2009-05-16.
|This food and/or confectionery corporation or company-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Asian corporation or company article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|