Al Ismailiyah Air Base
|Al Ismailiyah Air Base
|IATA: none – ICAO: none|
|Elevation AMSL||39 ft / 12 m|
Al Ismailiyah Air Base is an Egyptian Air Force (Arabic: القوات الجوية المصرية, Al-Qūwāt al-Gawwīyä al-Miṣrīyä) base, located approximately 4 km west-northwest of Ismailia; (Al Isma`iliyah); 116 km northeast of Cairo.
World War II
- Media related to RAF Ismailia at Wikimedia Commons
During World War II, the airfield, then known as RAF Ismailia or Ismailia Airfield, was used as a military airfield by the British Royal Air Force and the United States Army Air Force during the North African Campaign against Axis forces. Ismailia was a pre-World War II station, originally opened about 1916.
USAAF Ninth Air Force units which used the airfield were:
- 436th Troop Carrier Group, 13 August - 18 October 1942. C-47 Skytrain
- 434th Bombardment Group, 14 August – 29 September 1942, B-25 Mitchell[dubious ]
Today, the airfield is an active Egyptian Air Force base. Its World War II configuration is still evident in aerial photography.
- This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Air Force Historical Research Agency.
- Maurer, Maurer. Air Force Combat Units of World War II. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History, 1983. ISBN 0-89201-092-4.
- Maurer, Maurer, ed. (1982) . Combat Squadrons of the Air Force, World War II (reprint ed.). Washington, DC: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0-405-12194-6. LCCN 70605402. OCLC 72556.
|This article about an airport in Egypt is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This RAF article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|