Agadir–Al Massira Airport
|Agadir – Al Massira Airport
Control tower at Agadir Airport
|IATA: AGA – ICAO: GMAD|
|Elevation AMSL||226 ft / 69 m|
Agadir – Al Massira Airport (Arabic: مطار المسيرة, transliterated: Matar al-Maseera, IATA: AGA, ICAO: GMAD) is an international airport serving Agadir, a major city in southwest Morocco. Agadir is the capital of the province (wilaya) of Agadir and the region of Souss-Massa-Drâa.
In 2007, Al Massira International Airport served 1,502,094 passengers. In later years, Agadir and its tourism boomed, having new flights introduced to Al Massira from new airports from the United Kingdom and Ireland. The new prospect of a brand new terminal was granted, opening life for the people of Agadir.
Runway and aircraft parking
The runway in direction 10/28 measures 3,200 by 45 metres (10,499 ft × 148 ft). Aircraft up to the size of a Boeing 747 can land on the airport.
Total terminal area is 26,550 square metres (285,782 sq ft) and projected capacity is 3 million passengers per year. There is one large waiting room, divided in two to provide for national flights (no customs) and international flights. Passengers flying to Casablanca with a connecting international flight can pass through passport control in Agadir to save transfer time at Mohammed V
Airlines and destinations
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (January 2013)|
The following airlines offer scheduled passenger service:
ONDA reported the following statistics regarding Al Massira Airport.
On 21 August 1994, Royal Air Maroc Flight 630, crashed approximately ten minutes after take-off from Agadir Airport. All 44 passengers and crew on board were killed. The crash is believed to been a deliberate act by the aircraft's pilot.
- Statistics sourced from ONDA website documents and/or airport websites
- Airport information for GMAD from DAFIF (effective October 2006)
- Airport information for AGA at Great Circle Mapper. Source: DAFIF (effective Oct. 2006).
- "Agadir Airport". ONDA website. Retrieved 1 June 2008.
- ONDA website on the VIP service, visited 17 March 2012
- L, J (19 February 2014). "NIKI to start Agadir and Marrakesh". Airline Route. Retrieved 14 October 2014.
- source details 2009/2010:Official ONDA report December 2010, retrieved 11 December 2011
- source details 2008:Official ONDA report 2007-2008
- Details up to 2006 from Overview traffic movements Morocco, PDF document on ONDA site
- 207 figures from ONDA site, visited 28 July 2008
- Details up to 2006 from Overview passengers Morocco, PDF document on ONDA site
- 2007 figures from: ONDA website, visited 28 July 2008
- Details up to 2006 from Overview freight Morocco, PDF document on ONDA site
- 2006 + 2007 figures from ONDA website, visited 28 July 2008
- Accident history for AGA at Aviation Safety Network
- Aeronautical chart for GMAD at SkyVector
- Current weather for GMAD at NOAA/NWS