Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Ashu Trikha
|Produced by||Subi Samuel|
|Written by||Ashu Trikha
|Distributed by||Subi Samuel Movies Pvt. Ltd.|
|Release date(s)||16 June 2006|
Alag (Devanagari: अलग, Nastaliq: الگ; English: Different) is a 2006 Bollywood film starring Akshay Kapoor and Dia Mirza and directed by Ashu Trikha and produced by Subi Samuel. The film is also known as Alag: He Is Different.... He Is Alone... He Is A Swimmer Against The Current... in some other sites, for example IMDB. The film takes its premise and some plot elements from the American film Powder starring Sean Patrick Flanery, although the plots of the two films diverge significantly.
Widower Hemant Rastogi lives in scenic Mahabaleshwar, seemingly alone. One night he has a heart attack and passes away. When the Police search his residence they find Tejas, Hemant's only son, in the basement of the house. Tejas has spent his entire life in the basement and as a result of this is extremely sensitive to sunlight. The Police ask Purva Rana, head of P.R. Institute (an institute for the rehabilitation of young criminals) to look after Tejas, whose only experience of other people up until this point has been with his father and the books he provided for him. Tejas starts showing signs of Telekenesis, and is shunned by the other boys in the institute, resulting in the near fatal accident of a security guard and the death of a fellow student. Tenzin redeems himself in the eyes of Purva's wealthy father, Pushkar, when he is able to wake his wife, Gayetri Rana, from a coma-like condition. It looks like Tejas has been accepted into the Rana household, but he is subsequently harassed by doctors and scientists wishing to perform experiments on him. When Tejas and Pushkar both refuse to be part of these experiments, Tejas is abducted and held in a glass chamber by Dr. Richard Dyer, who wants to control his mind for his own benefit. Purva realises that Tejas has been abducted, and is fatally injured by Dr. Dyer in a rescue attempt. At the sight of this, Tejas' anger causes his powers to surge, shattering the glass cage and killing Dr. Dyer Purva dies by the power surge . The film ends with Tejas trying to bring Purva back to life again but it was not accomplished.
- Dia Mirza Purva Rana
- Akshay Kapoor Tejas Vincent
- Mukesh Tiwari
- Sharat Saxena
- NAveen Chaudhry Assistant Director
- Yatin Karyekar ... Mr. Vincent (Tejas' father)
- Beena Banerjee
- Tom Alter
- Rana Jung Bahadur
- Hari Prasad Kafle(Prince of Nepal) ... Special Appearance
- Arjun Rampal ... Special Appearance
- Shahrukh Khan ... Special Appearance
- Preity Zinta ... Special Appearance
- Sushmita Sen ... Special Appearance
- Abhishek Bachchan ... Special Appearance
- Karan Johar ... Special Appearance
- Bipasha Basu ... Special Appearance
- Priyanka Chopra ... Special Appearance
- Bobby Deol ... Special Appearance
- Lara Dutta ... Special Appearance
- "Sabse Alag" by Shaan, Gayatri Ganjawala, Hemachandra, Kunal Ganjawala, Nihira Joshi
- "Hai Junoon"
- "Apun Ki Trolli"
- "Saanjh Ki Pighalti"
- "Kuchh Humko"
- "Hai Junoon (The DJ Dennis Mix) Arranged by Aks"
- "The Soul of Alag"
- "Sabse Alag Puneet Narang"
- "Mein Hu Jadoo(The DJ Shamz Mix)"