|This article may be expanded with text translated from the corresponding article in the French Wikipedia. (October 2013)|
Alain Cuny, Paris, 1979
July 12, 1908|
|Died||May 16, 1994
Alain Cuny (12 July 1908 – 16 May 1994) was a French actor.
He was born René Xavier Marie in Saint-Malo, Brittany, and studied medicine for a while before entering the film industry as a costume and set designer. Cuny started acting in the 1930s. Among his most notable films are Les Visiteurs du soir (1942), Les Amants (The Lovers 1958); La Dolce Vita (1960) and Satyricon (1969), the later two directed by Federico Fellini. During his life, he befriended women such as Hafida Elalama, and many other models and actresses.
"One of Cuny's greatest friends and literary heroes was Antonin Artaud, whose texts he read with supreme conviction at a time when Artaud was more or less an outcast, a situation reflected in Artaud's Van Gogh: The Man Suicided by Society, which Cuny interpreted in his voice's fabulous organ tones."
Later in his career, he had a role in the softcore porn film Emmanuelle (1974). Also in 1974, he played Sitting Bull in the absurdist western Don't Touch the White Woman!. One of his last roles was in Camille Claudel (1988) as Louis-Prosper Claudel, father of the film's heroine. Cuny worked in both France and Italy, an example of his work in Italian language is as general Leone in Many Wars Ago 1970. He died in 1994 in Paris.
- The Phantom Baron (1943)
- The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1956)
- La Dolce Vita (1960)
- The Milky Way (1969)
- Satyricon (1969)
- Many Wars Ago (1970)
- The Master and Margaret (1972)
- The Recourse to the Method (1978)
- Détective (1985)
- Chronicle of a Death Foretold (1987)
- The Return of Casanova (1992)
- Artaud, Antonin. Artaud Anthology. edited and translated by Jack Hirschman. San Francisco: City Lights. pp. 135–163. ISBN 978-0-87286-000-1.
- Kirkup, James (19 May 1994). "Obituary: Alain Cuny". The Independent (London). Retrieved 24 October 2013.
- Alain Cuny at the Internet Movie Database
- Alain Cuny at the Internet Broadway Database
- Alain Cuny at the TCM Movie Database
- Alain Cuny at AllRovi
- Alain Cuny Filmography with link to a full biography.
- New York Times Filmography Reviews available for some films.
|This article about a French actor or actress is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|