Alamelu also known as Alamelu manga and Padmavati (often spelled "Padmavathi" or "Padmavathy"), is a Hindu devi. Believed to be a form of Lakshmi, the Hindu devi of wealth and good fortune, Alamelu Manga is the consort of Sri Venkateshwara. The name Padmavati is Sanskrit for "she who emerged from lotus". The main temple to Sri Alamelumanga is situated at Alamelu-Mangapuram, a suburb of Tirupati City. Tradition dictates that every pilgrim to Tirupati must offer obeisance at this temple after visiting the temple at Tirupati-Tirumala Balaji.
Alamelu Manga is a major deity in Hinduism worshipped as an aspect of Goddess Lakshmi.It is believed that her intercession is indispensable to gaining the favour of the lord, it is also believed that Lakshmi is co-omnipresent, co-illimitable and the co-bestower of moksham along with Lord Vishnu. Sri Alamelumanga is the mother-goddess figure for staunch Sri Vaishnavites in particular and Hindus in general.
Nammalwar(43rd Kali of 3059 BC-According to traditional scriptures))is one of the twelve azhwar saints of Tamil nadu, India, who are known for their affiliation to Vaishnava tradition of Hinduism.The works of Nammazhwar were compiled by Madhurakavi as four different works, namely, Thiruvaymozhi (1102 verses), Thiruviruttam (100 verses), Thiruvaasiriam (or Thiru Aasiriyam - 7 verses) andPeriya Thiruvanthadi (87 verses). The works of Nammazhwar contributed to the philosophical and theological ideas of Vaishnavism influenced the ruling Pallava kings of the South Indian region. In his Thiruvaymozhi, he says
"azaagillEn eraiyum endru alarmEl mangai urai mArbA!
nigaril pugazhAi! vulamoondrudaiyAi! Ennai AlvAnE! nigaril amarar munikkaNangal virumpum thiruvenkataththAnE! pugal ondrillA adiyEn vunnadikkeezh amarindhu pugundhEnE'"
The sentence 'azaagillEn eraiyum endru alarmEl mangai urai mArbA which translates as "Goddess Laxsmi will not away from your(vekateswara) heart,always stay with you(him)."
Poet Sri Annamacharya, was a staunch devotee of Sri Alamelu Mangamma. Most of his creative output is either inspired or centers around the deity. Many of the most famous and popular Kritis of Annamacharya personify her benevolence and grace.
The name Alamelu Manga or more correctly Alarmel Mangai is a Tamil term which translates conjoint of the words Alar (lotus) and Mel (aloft or up); Mangai means "(auspicious) lady" in pure Tamil. In Tamil: அலமேலு, அலர்மேல்) Alarmel mangkai is the goddess Lakshmi. The name Alamelu has traditionally been a popular one in South India. Apart from that basic name, several variations are popular.
- Sri Padmavati Mahila Visvavidyalayam, a university named after Padmavati
- Tirumala - Tirupati
-  South India handbook: the travel guide By Robert Bradnock, Roma Bradnock-Source-Google Books
- M. Srinivasachariar (1974). History of Classical Sanskrit Literature: Being an Elaborate Account of All Branches of Classical Sanskrit Literature, with Full Epigraphical and Archaeological Notes and References, an Introduction Dealing with Language, Philology, and Chronology, and Index of Authors & Works. Motilal Banarsidass Publisher. pp. 278–. ISBN 978-81-208-0284-1.
- "Nammalvar's Tiruvaymozhi – An Insight". srivenkatesa.org.
- "Padmavati's Lotus - I smell a Goddess". Gaia Online.
- The Tirumala-Tirupati Devasthanam website
- Sri Venkatdhvari Kavi's Sri Lakshmi Saharam Praising Alarmelmanga Thayar