Alan Baxter (author)
||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for biographies. (June 2010)|
18 April 1970|
Sussex, United Kingdom
|Occupation||Writer, Martial Artist, Personal Trainer|
Alan Baxter (born 18 April 1970, Sussex, United Kingdom) is an author of dark fantasy, science fiction and horror. He also runs dark fiction publisher Blade Red Press and is a martial artist and Personal Trainer, running the Illawarra Kung Fu Academy on the south coast of NSW, Australia.
Baxter was born in the UK and moved to Australia in the mid-1990s. His first novel, a dark fantasy/horror thriller called RealmShift, was self-published in 2006. Baxter set up independent publisher Blade Red Press in 2008 and re-released RealmShift along with the sequel, MageSign. In 2010 both RealmShift and MageSign were acquired and republished by Gryphonwood Press.
Baxter also writes short fiction and non-fiction. His short stories have been published in various print and online magazines and anthologies. His noir sci-fi novella Ghost Of The Black: A ‘Verse Full Of Scum was originally serialised on his website throughout 2008 and is now available in print and ebook through Blade Red Press. In a recent interview with Kayelle Press, he revealed that he is working on a third and fourth major novel alongside his short stories.
Below is a list of his published fiction, non-fiction and other works that he has published through Blade Red Press.
- "Thirty Three Tears To A Teaspoon" – Postscripts 32/33: FAR VOYAGER (PS Publishing, due (northern) spring 2013)
- "The Beat Of A Pale Wing" – A Killer Among Demons anthology, (Dark Prints Press, due May 2013)
- "Tiny Lives" – Year’s Best Australian Fantasy & Horror 2012, (Ticonderoga Publications, mid-2013)
- "Roll the Bones" – Crowded Magazine issue #2, due mid-2013
- "Not the Worst of Sins" – Beneath Ceaseless Skies, (due (northern) autumn 2013)
- RealmShift (Gryphonwood Press, 2010)
- MageSign (Gryphonwood Press, 2010)
Novellas and novellettes
- Dark Rite – A horror/thriller novella, co-authored with David Wood (Gryphonwood Press, April 2013)
- The Darkest Shade Of Grey – Red Penny Papers (due February 2012)
- Ghost Of The Black: A ‘Verse Full of Scum (self-published through Blade Red Press, 2010, after serialising on his website throughout 2008)
- "On A Crooked Leg Lightly" – Dreaming Of Djinn anthology (Ticonderoga Publications, May 2013)
- "A Time For Redemption" – Urban Occult anthology (Anachron Press, March 2013)
- "Tiny Lives" – Daily Science Fiction (25 December 2012); reprinted in Year’s Best Australian Fantasy & Horror 2012, (Ticonderoga Publications)
- "Salvage In The Void" – Kasma SF online magazine (December 2012); Semi-Finalist, Writers of the Future Contest, Third Quarter 2011
- "Cephalopoda Obsessia" – Bloodstones anthology (Ticonderoga Publications, October 2012)
- "Crossroads & Carousels" – The Red Penny Papers Vol. III, Issue 1 (October 2012)
- "Fear Is The Sin" – From Stage Door Shadows anthology (Literary Mix Tapes, eMergent Publishing, October 2012)
- "Burning, Always Burning" (written with Felicity Dowker) – Damnation & Dames anthology (Ticonderoga Publications, April 2012)
- "The Goodbye Message" – Ticon4 (April 2012)
- "In The Name Of The Father" – The One That Got Away anthology (Dark Prints Press, February 2012)
- "The Everywhere & The Always" – Mythic Resonance anthology, (The Specusphere, February 2012)
- Trawling The Void – Midnight Echo, Issue 6, November 2011
- Unexpected Launch – Anywhere But Earth anthology (Coeur De Lion Publishing, November 2011)
- Duty & Sacrifice – Hope anthology (Kayelle Press, October 2011)
- Dream Shadow – Winds Of Change anthology (CSFG Publishing, October 2011)
- The King’s Accord – Year’s Best Australian Fantasy & Horror Vol.1, 2010 (reprint), (Ticonderoga Publications, October 2011)
- The Seven Garages of Kevin Simpson – Pseudopod, episode 242, August 2011 (podcast original)
- Running Wild With The Hunt – The Game anthology (Seven Realms Publishing, August 2011)
- The Speaking Tree – 100 Stories For Queensland, (eMergent Publishing, May 2011)
- Punishment Of The Sun – Dead Red Heart anthology (Ticonderoga Publications, April 2011)
- Mirrorwalk – Murky Depths #16, April 2011
- Declan’s Plan – Co-winner, Wily Writers Short Story Contest, April 2011 (text and podcast)
- Stand Off – reprint – Best Of Wily Writers anthology, February 2011
- Mistaken Identity – Kasma SF, February 2011
- Terminal Illness & The Book – Pill Hill Press 365 Flash antho, (Anti SF reprints)
- Idle Chatter – Bosley Gravel’s Cavalcade of Terror, September 2010
- The King’s Accord – Flesh & Bone: Rise of The Necromancers anthology from Pill Hill Press, August 2010
- Jeff Newman’s Headaches – 52 Stitches, 23 August 2010
- Decennial General Meeting – Best Of Friday Flash Vol. 1 anthology, August 2010
- Pushed Too Far – House Of Horror, May 2010
- Strange Death – Flashes In The Dark, March 2010
- Trial Not Required – M-Brane SF Issue #13, February 2010
- A Little Killing – Pow Fast Flash Fiction, December 2009
- Trapped – House Of Horror, Issue 7, December 2009
- Deep Sea Fishing – Seizure Issue 4, December 2009
- Crossfire – Podcast through Outlandish Voices, Nov. 2009 ("reprint" from Oddville Press)
- The Book – Antipodean SF, # 136, October 2009
- Cemetery – Horror Bound Magazine, Issue 7, August 2009 (reprinted in Dark Places anthology from Gryphonwood Press, October 2010)
- Stand Off (full version) – text & podcast by Wily Writers, July 2009 (Infinitas reprint)
- Parklife – Editor Unleashed/Smashword Flash Fiction 40 anthology, June 2009
- Crossfire – The Oddville Press, Vol 1, # 4, June 2009
- Terminal Illness – Antipodean SF, # 130, March 2009
- Being Late – Op-Ed Magazine, March 2008
- Runaway – Harbinger Journal, March 2008
- The Night Bus – The Harrow, Vol. 10, No. 12, December 2007 (reprinted in Dark Places anthology from Gryphonwood Press, October 2010)
- Stand Off (abridged) – Infinitas Newsletter, 2006
- The Bout – Cyberkwoon.com, 2006
- A Night At The Pub – Martial Arts Planet, 2005
In late 2012, Alan Baxter joined the team for PLANE, an online learning environment. He contributed in the role of head narrative writer on Leornian a game-based learning effort funded by the Australian Government Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations. The game is currently still in active development, by students contributing from Quantm College and Enmore TAFE Design Centre.
- Miscellaneous Voices #1 – Ebooks Are The Future, March 2010 –blogging anthology, Miscellaneous Press (Australia)
- Player Magazine – Music review column, December 2001 – December 2002 (New Zealand)
- Player Magazine – Film review column, June – December 2002 (New Zealand)
- Business News Makers magazine – Tackling The Elite – article on indie publishing, Winter 2009 edition (Canada)
- Regular contributor – Metal As Fuck e-zine (http://metalasfuck.net/zine/), reviews and features
Syndicated articles from Baxter’s website can be found on:
- Publetariat (http://www.publetariat.com/index.php)
- Publishing Renaissance (http://publishren.wordpress.com/)
- arts NAKED (http://www.artsnaked.com/reviews/author/alanbaxter/)
Works published by Baxter through his independent publisher Blade Red Press:
- Souls Along The Meridian, by Bill Congreve, single author short story collection, 2010
- Dark Pages 1, anthology of dark short fiction, 2010 (Shortlisted for Australian Shadows Award, 2010 – Best Edited Publication)
- Ghost Of The Black: A ‘Verse Full Of Scum by Alan Baxter, 2010
- Maggots Of Heresy by Michael Fridman, 2009 (Now out of print)
Achievements and accolades
- "Tiny Lives" reprinted in Year’s Best Australian Fantasy & Horror 2012, (Ticonderoga Publications)
- Nomimated for the 2011 Ditmar Best New Talent Award
- "Dream Shadow" on the Recommended Reading List, Year’s Best Fantasy & Horror, 2011, Ticonderoga Publications.
- "The Seven Garages Of Kevin Simpson" on the Recommended Reading List, Year’s Best Fantasy & Horror, 2011, Ticonderoga Publications.
- Duty And Sacrifice on the Recommended Reading List, Year’s Best Fantasy & Horror, 2011, Ticonderoga Publications.
- "Mirrorwalk" on the Recommended Reading List, Year’s Best Fantasy & Horror, 2011, Ticonderoga Publications.
- "Punishment Of The Sun", Honorable Mention in Ellen Datlow’s Best Horror of the Year #4, 2012; also on the Recommended Reading List, Year’s Best Fantasy & Horror, 2011, Ticonderoga Publications.
- "Salvage In The Void", Semi-Finalist, Writers of the Future Contest, Third Quarter 2011
- "The King’s Accord" reprinted in Year’s Best Australian Fantasy & Horror Vol.1, 2010, Ticonderoga Publications
- "Declan’s Plan", co-winner, Wily Writers Short Story Contest, 2011
- "Trawling The Void" - Honourable Mention, Writers of the Future Competition, Second Quarter 2010
- "Stand Off" - reprinted in Best Of Wily Writers, Vol. 1, February 2011
- "Decennial General Meeting" - collected in Best Of Friday Flash, Vol. 1
- Alan Baxter's website
- Blade Red Press: Speculative and Dark Fiction Publishing Official Site
- Illawarra Kung Fu Academy Official Site
- Gryphonwood Press Official Site
- Alan Baxter at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
- "About Alan". Alan Baxter Online. Retrieved 6 June 2010.
- "Interview With Indie Author Alan Baxter". Publetariat. Retrieved 3 June 2010.
- "Interview with Alan Baxter: Dark fantasty indie author". The Creative Penn. Retrieved 3 June 2010.
- "Interview with Alan Baxter: How to Set Up a Blog Tour and Why Print Books Will Become a Niche Market". Smashwords. Archived from the original on 5 June 2010. Retrieved 1 June 2010.
- "Interview with Alan Baxter". An Exchange of Words: David B. Coe's Weblog. Retrieved 1 June 2010.
- "Gryphonwood Authors". Gryphonwood Press. Retrieved 6 June 2010.
- "#RejectWriter: Alan Baxter". Evolve Journal: Advancing Fiction With a Purpose. Archived from the original on 12 July 2010. Retrieved 6 June 2010.
- "A 'Verse Full Of Scum". Blade Red Press. Retrieved 6 June 2010.
- "Author Interview: Alan Baxter". Kayelle Press. Retrieved 22 May 2013.
- Ditmar eligibility list, retrieved 6 Feb 2012.