Alan Chambers (Exodus International)
Alan Manning Chambers (born February 21, 1972) is the former president of Exodus International and co-founder of Speak. Love., headquartered in Orlando, Florida. Before coming to Exodus, Chambers served on the pastoral team at Calvary Assembly of God, one of the largest churches in Orlando.
On June 19, 2013, Chambers repudiated the organization's mission in a nearly hour-long talk at the organization's 38th annual meeting. In the talk he said, "I am sorry for the pain and hurt many of you have experienced. I am sorry that some of you spent years working through the shame and guilt you felt when your attractions didn’t change. I am sorry we promoted sexual orientation change efforts and reparative theories about sexual orientation that stigmatized parents." He said his next ministry would be different: "Our goals are to reduce fear and come alongside churches to become safe, welcoming and mutually transforming communities". He co-founded Speak. Love. with two other former Exodus leaders later that year.
Chambers was actively involved in promoting policies that in his view preserve and protect traditional marriage and the family. He testified before the Massachusetts state judiciary committee on same-sex marriage. He is also a member of the Arlington Group, a coalition working to pass legislation against same-sex marriage.
Chambers says that he has mostly overcome his attraction to men (although he does speak openly about his own ongoing sexual attraction to men); however, he rejects the term ex-gay. He is married to Leslie Chambers and has two adopted children. He travels extensively and is a frequent speaker and guest lecturer at conferences, churches and college campuses. He has debated at many university campuses, such as the University of California at Berkeley, Pepperdine University and Reformed Theological Seminary.
Prior to Exodus International's annual conference in 2012, Chambers stated, "I do not believe that cure is a word that is applicable to really any struggle, homosexuality included.... For someone to put out a shingle and say, 'I can cure homosexuality' — that to me is as bizarre as someone saying they can cure any other common temptation or struggle that anyone faces on Planet Earth." In July 2012, while appearing on NBC's Hardball, Chambers stated that he always believed the catchphrase "Pray away the gay" to be a lazy stereotype and one that he never used, as it invalidates the nature of the complex issue surrounding homosexuality. Chambers went on to tell host Michael Smerconish that he has same-sex attraction, and for anyone to say he does not have temptations, or that he could never be tempted, or does not have same-sex attraction is not true.
In June 2013, he closed the organization with a public apology to the LGBT community, saying that "For quite some time we’ve been imprisoned in a worldview that’s neither honoring toward our fellow human beings, nor biblical." He remarked that he will now seek to create "safe, welcoming and mutually transforming communities.”
- God's Grace and the Homosexual Next Door: Reaching the Heart of the Gay Men and Women in Your World Chambers, Alan, Harvest House Publishers (2006) ISBN 978-0-7369-1691-2
- Leaving Homosexuality: A Practical Guide for Men and Women Looking for a Way Out Chambers, Alan, Harvest House Publishers (2009) ISBN 978-0-7369-2610-2
He has been interviewed by numerous television, radio and print outlets across North America and Europe, including WORLD, TIME, ABC’s 20/20, MSNBC’s Buchanan & Press and ABC’s Nightline. His editorials have appeared in The Orlando Sentinel and The Boston Globe.
- Life Today with James & Betty Robison, "Exposing the Myths About Homosexuality", October 29, 2007, interviewed Alan Chambers
- CNN's Anderson Cooper 360, broadcast February 6, 2007, interviewed Alan Chambers
- The 700 Club CBN News segment, "Study Says Gays Can Change Orientation," broadcast February 19, 2008, interviewed Alan Chambers
- CNN's Paula Zahn Now, broadcast June 27, 2007, interviewed Alan Chambers
- Fox's The Morning Show with Mike & Juliet (syndicated), broadcast September 13, 2007, interviewed Alan & Leslie Chambers
- "Pray the Gay Away?", Our America with Lisa Ling, OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network. Originally broadcast March 8, 2011.
- MSNBC's Kara Blizzard Live, broadcast October 9, 2011, interviewed Alan Chambers
- "Pray the Gay Away? — Breaking News," Our America with Lisa Ling, OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network. Originally broadcast August 21, 2012
- "God and Gays," Our America with Lisa Ling, OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network. Originally broadcast June 20, 2012
- Chambers was also interviewed in an episode of the Swedish TV show Uppdrag granskning, "Bögbotarna", which aired in May 2014.
- Christianity Today, "The Transgender Moment", February 12, 2008, interviewed Alan Chambers
- Christianity Today, "An Older, Wiser Ex-Gay Movement", September 13, 2007, interviewed Alan Chambers
- WORLD magazine, "Good From Bad", February 9, 2008, quotes statistics on Exodus
- New Man, "Alan Chambers Talks to New Man About His Ministry to Homosexuals", March 20, 2008, interview with Alan Chambers
In 2011, WORLD named Chambers as their "Daniel of the Year," for his stance on Christian issues. Chambers was listed in Charisma magazine as one of the top Christian leaders who represent the future of the American church.
- Exodus International - Board of Directors
- Exodus International - Biography of Alan Chambers
- Tenety, Elizabeth, "Exodus International, criticized for ‘reparative therapies’ for gay Christians, to shut down", Washington Post, June 20, 2013. Included link to video of Chambers' talk at Exodus' website. Retrieved 2013-06-20.
- Snow, Justin (June 20, 2013). "'Ex-gay' ministry apologizes to LGBT community, shuts down". MetroWeekly. Retrieved June 20, 2013.
- Newcomb, Alyssa (June 20, 2013). "Exodus International: 'Gay Cure' Group Leader Shutting Down Ministry After Change of Heart". ABC News. Retrieved June 20, 2013.
- A BLOG BY ALAN CHAMBERS: Massachusetts Marriage Affirmation & Protection Amendment
- "Alan Chambers: President, Exodus International". NewsGuests.com. Retrieved 20 June 2013.
- A BLOG BY ALAN CHAMBERS: Great Thread at ExGay Watch
- Approaching agreement in debate over homosexuality
- Alan Chambers, God's Grace and the Homosexual Next Door, Eugene: Harvest House, 2006, p36
- Pride and prejudice: Montel Williams style
- How Will You Respond To Homosexuality?
- How Will You Respond to Homosexuality?
- Exodus International - Board of Directors
- CNN.com - Transcripts
- Study Says Gays Can Change Orientation - U.S. - CBN News
- YouTube - CNN Paula Zahn Now 06.27.07 - So-Called Gay "Cure"
- YouTube - Mike & Juliet - ex-gays (Pt1)
- YouTube.com - Kara Blizzard Hates Homosexuals
- "God and Gays: Historical Timeline Infographic," OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, 19 June 2013, accessed 8 July 2013.
- The Transgender Moment | Christianity Today | A Magazine of Evangelical Conviction
- An Older, Wiser Ex-Gay Movement | Christianity Today | A Magazine of Evangelical Conviction
- WORLD Magazine | Today's News, Christian Views
- New Man eMagazine
- 2011 Daniel of the Year, World Magazine