|Christian Peoples Alliance candidate for
Mayor of London
1 May 2008
|Political party||Christian Peoples Alliance|
Alexander Alan Craig is a British political campaigner who was leader of the Christian Peoples Alliance from 2004 to 2013. He stood as a candidate for Mayor of London in 2008 and was a councillor in the London Borough of Newham for eight years.
Craig first stood for Newham Council in 1998 as a Christian Democrat candidate in Ordnance ward and in 2001 he stood in a by-election for Beckton ward.
He was elected to Newham Council for Canning Town South in the 2002 local elections becoming the only opposition councillor. In the 2006 elections he was re-elected with an increased majority as part of a group of three Christian Peoples Alliance councillors. However he lost his council seat in 2010.
Craig opposed the building of the London Markaz Mosque; he said that while he supports the right to worship, he had fears over the impact upon the community and on security. He also opposed the opening of one of the regional casinos in Newham, campaigned to end the DESO-funded arms fair and played a leading role in the campaign to save the Queens Road Market.
Candidate for London Mayor
In 2008 Craig stood for London Mayor as a "Christian Choice" candidate, representing the Christian Peoples Alliance and the Christian Party. He received 39,249 first choice votes (1.62%) and 80,140 second choice votes (4.00%), finishing sixth in the first round of voting, and being eliminated for the second.
- Muir, Hugh (2001-03-28). "Labour's fortress threatened by a Christian soldier.". The Evening Standard.
- Graves, David (2002-03-05). "Hospital protesters win control of council". The Daily Telegraph.
- "Local Election Results 2010 - Canning Town South". Newham.gov.uk. Retrieved 2010-05-12.
- "Election results 4 May 2006". Newham.gov.uk. Retrieved 2010-05-12.
- Wheeler, Brian (2004-11-04). "Rousing the party faithful". BBC.
- Staff (25 April 2005). "Labour's fortress threatened by a Christian soldier.". BBC.
- Johnston, Pillip (2006-09-25). "The shadow cast by a mega-mosque". The Daily Telegraph.
- Allen, Nick (2006-10-30). "Olympic-Size London Mosque May Eclipse Landmarks". Bloomberg L.P.
- Saini, Angela (2007-02-01). "Say no to casino!". BBC London. BBC. Retrieved 2008-02-09.
- "Profile: Alan Craig". Archived from the original on 8 April 2008. Retrieved 2008-04-29.
- "Friend's of Queen's Market". Archived from the original on 7 May 2008. Retrieved 2008-04-29.
- "Anglican newspaper defends 'Gaystapo' article" The Guardian 8 November 2011
- "New gay marriage no thanks group launches". Pinknews. 2013-06-17.
- Christians Peoples Alliance - People
- Mayoral Results
- "Mosque critic brands himself the 'Christian choice' for mayor News". Thisislondon.co.uk. Retrieved 2010-05-12.
- Alan Craig on the CPA website
- CPA Newham website
- Alan Craig's personal blog
- Alan Craig's personal YouTube