He earned a B.Sc. from Swansea University in 1959, and Ph.D. from Imperial College London in 1962, for which he was supervised by Nobel Laureate Sir Geoffrey Wilkinson. He discovered the radioactive heart imaging agent Cardiolite (Technetium (99mTc) sestamibi).
He has been awarded the following:
- Alfred P. Sloan Foundation Fellow (1967)
- Paul C. Aebersold Award for Outstanding Achievement in Basic Science Applied to Nuclear Medicine (1993)
- Ernest H. Swift Lectureship at the California Institute of Technology (1999)
- Fellow of the Royal Society of London (2000)
- American Chemical Society Award for Creative Invention (2006).
- "Wallace H. Carothers Award Lecture - Professor Alan Davison, MIT", http://www.mitdv.org/events/archives/2006/04/wallace_h_carot_1.html
- Abhik Ghosh, Letters to a Young Chemist, John Wiley & Sons, 2011, pp.134-5