Alan fitz Walter, 2nd High Steward of Scotland
|Alan fitz Walter|
|Title||2nd High Steward of Scotland|
|Predecessor||Walter fitz Alan|
|Successor||Walter Stewart, 3rd High Steward of Scotland|
Alesta of Mar
|Parents||Walter fitz Alan
Alan was the son and heir of Walter fitz Alan, by his spouse Eschina, who was possibly a member of a family from the south of Scotland. From the time of his succession to his death in 1204, Alan served as dapifer to William the Lion, King of Scots. It was during Alan's lifetime that his family acquired the Isle of Bute. He was possibly responsible for the erection of Rothesay Castle on the island.
A Royal Grant to Kinloss Abbey, signed at Melrose Abbey was made between 1179 and 1183. Amongst the witnesses are the Abbot of Melrose, the Abbot of Newbottle, Richard de Morville, Constable of Scotland, 'Alan, son of Walter the Steward, and William de Lauder.
Alan became a patron of the Knights Templar and is responsible for expanding Templar influence in Scotland.
He appears as a witness to other charters of William The Lion.
Marriage and issue
- Walter Stewart, 3rd High Steward of Scotland, married Bethóc, daughter of Gille Críst, Earl of Angus and his wife Marjorie. He died in 1246.
- David 
- Avelina, married Donnchadh, Earl of Carrick
Some sources list Margaret Galloway as Walter's mother. Galloway is related to William the Conqueror and other royalty.
- Barrow, Geoffrey Wallis Steuart (2004), "Stewart family (per. c.1110–c.1350), nobility", Oxford Dictionary of National Biography ((SUBSCRIPTION OR UK PUBLIC LIBRARY MEMBERSHIP REQUIRED)), doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/49411, retrieved 5 July 2011
- Barrow, Geoffrey Wallis Steuart (1981), Kingship and unity: Scotland 1000–1306, University of Toronto Press, p. 112
- Simpson, David, The Genealogical and Chronological History of the Stuarts, Edinburgh, 1713.
- Macquarrie, Alan, Scotland and the Crusades, 1095–1560, Edinburgh, 1985: 29/30.
- Professor Geoffrey W. S. Barrow, editor, The Acts of William 1st, King of Scots, Edinburgh, 1971, vol.II, p.277, charter 237.
- Burke, Messrs., John and John Bernard, The Royal Families of England, Scotland, and Wales, &c., volume 2, London, 1851, p.xl.
- Burke, Messrs., John and John Bernard, The Royal Families of England, Scotland, and Wales &c., volume 2, London, 1851, p.xl.
- Mackenzie, A. M., MA., D.Litt., The Rise of the Stewarts, London, 1935, pps.10–11.
Alan fitz Walter, 2nd High Steward of ScotlandBorn: 1140 Died: 1204
|High Steward of Scotland
c. 1177 – c. 1204