Alan Kohler has been a financial journalist since 1971. He began as a cadet on The Australian; has been a columnist for Chanticleer in The Australian Financial Review and was Editor of the AFR between 1985 and 1988. He was editor of The Age from 1992 to 1995.
Kohler was chief executive and a major shareholder of Australian Independent Business Media Pty Ltd, which published the online investment newsletter Eureka Report and the free, 24-hour business news and commentary website Business Spectator since 2007. AIBM was sold for $30m in 2012 to News Corp; Kohler remained as editor-in-chief. The sale to News Corp did create some interesting media. It has been rumoured that Eureka Report now has less subscribers than it did when it was owned by AIBM.
He also appeared on the ABC’s Inside Business from 2002 to 2013 and continues to appears on ABC News. He was chairman of Melbourne University Press between 2008 and 2012. He is married to journalist and author Deborah Forster and has three children.
In his last weekend briefing of 2011, Alan Kohler told his Eureka Report subscribers that he was significantly reducing his ‘already reduced exposure to equities, possibly to zero’ because of the high risk of ‘another major panic sell-off on the market’. This saw Kohler receive some criticism from Eureka Report readers, many of whom followed his lead and sold off most of their shares right before a two year bull run of this commodity.
Alan Kohler is an Ambassador of the Australian Indigenous Education Foundation, and an Adjunct Professor of Business at Victoria University.
- "the story of the age". The Age (Melbourne). 2004. Archived from the original on 2010-03-22.
- Steffens, Miriam (October 31, 2007). "Kohler launches finance site". Sydney Morning Hearld (Fairfax Media). Archived from the original on 2012-11-05. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- Heffernan, Madeleine (June 21, 2012). "An offer Kohler couldn't refuse". Sydney Morning Hearld (Fairfax Media). Archived from the original on 2012-10-10. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- "Eureka Report Sags". http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/. 2013. Retrieved 15 December 2013.
- Butler, Ben (September 30, 2013). "'Ridiculous workload' - Alan Kohler ends ABC's Inside Business". Sydney Morning Hearld (Fairfax Media). Archived from the original on 2013-10-16. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- "Alan Kohler". ABC News. 4 Apr 2007. Archived from the original on 2012-11-11. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- Trounson, Andrew (October 15, 2008). "Kohler brings online nous to MUP". The Australian. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- Trounson, Andrew (June 1, 2012). "Alan Kohler leaves Melbourne University Press board". The Australian. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- "Deborah Forster". randomhouse.com.au. 2013. Archived from the original on 2012-05-03. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- "Alan Kohler Intelligent Investor". Retrieved 24 December 2013.
|Editor of The Age
|This article about an Australian writer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Australian journalist biography article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|