Alan M. Clark
|Alan M. Clark|
|Born||Alan Marshall Clark
May 10, 1957
|Occupation||artist, illustrator, writer|
|Genres||Horror fiction, Fantasy|
Alan Marshall Clark is an author and an artist who is best known as the illustrator and book cover painter of many pieces of horror fiction. He was nominated for the Bram Stoker Award for Best First Novel for his 2005 book Siren Promised (co-written by Jeremy Robert Johnson).
He has won the World Fantasy Award for his illustrations ("Best Artist 1994"), and he has won many Association of Science Fiction and Fantasy Artists' Chesley Awards. His book The Paint in My Blood was nominated for the "Best Art Book" for the 2005 Locus Awards. It was also nominated for the 2005 International Horror Guild Award for their "Non-fiction" category. His artwork has been featured on many signed limited editions from Cemetery Dance Publications, Lonely Road Books, Subterranean Press, Earthling Publications, and many other publishers of hardcovers as well as illustrations on the covers and interiors of textbooks, children's books, paperbacks, magazines and CDs.
He received his Bachelor of Fine Arts from the San Francisco Art Institute in 1979. He owns the publishing company, IFD Publishing (started in 1999). He currently lives in Eugene, Oregon with his wife Melody.
Select bibliography of Alan M. Clark
- The Paint in My Blood (also released as a limited edition with a CD).
- Siren Promised (co-written by Jeremy Robert Johnson) (Bloodletting Press, 2005 limited edition; reprinted by Swallowdown Press 2006). ISBN 0-9762498-9-8.
- Pain & Other Petty Plots to Keep You in Stitches (a short story collection edited by Alan M. Clark featuring illustrations, novella and short stories by him and a few others) (IFD Publishing, 2003). ISBN 0-9671912-5-4.
- The Blood of Father Time, Book 1, The New Cut (co-authored by Alan M. Clark, Stephen C. Merritt, and Lorelei Shannon). (Five Star Press, May 2007). ISBN 1-59414-595-4.
- The Blood of Father Time, Book 2, The Mystic Clan's Grand Plot (co-authored by Alan M. Clark, Stephen C. Merritt, and Lorelei Shannon) (Five Star Press, July 2007). ISBN 1-59414-604-7.
- D.D. Murphry, Secret Policeman (co-written by Elizabeth Massie) (Raw Dog Screaming Press 2009). Hardcover ISBN 978-1-933293-82-0 / Paperback ISBN 978-1-933293-83-7
- Boneyard Babies (Lazy Fascist Press 2010). Paperback ISBN 1-936383-21-7
- Of Thimble and Threat: The Life of a Ripper Victim (Lazy Fascist Press 2011). Paperback ISBN 1-936383-69-1
- A Parliament of Crows (Lazy Fascist Press 2012). Paperback ISBN 1621050637
- The Door That Faced West (Lazy Fascist Press 2014). Paperback ISBN 978-1621051398
Essays and articles
- "Subterranean City" from Drawing and Painting Fantasy Landscapes and Cityscapes edited by Rob Alexander (Quarto Books, 2006).
- "Pixelated or Pixilated" from Paint or Pixel: The Digital Divide in Illustration Art edited by Jane Frank (Nonestop Press, 2007).
He has illustrated book covers and inner illustrations for the following authors and many more:
- John Paul Allen
- Jay Bonansinga
- Ray Bradbury
- Gary A. Braunbeck
- David Brin
- Poppy Z. Brite
- Kealan Patrick Burke
- Elizabeth Engstrom
- Christopher Golden
- Jim C. Hines
- Charlee Jacob
- Jeremy Robert Johnson
- Brian Keene
- Jack Ketchum
- Nancy Kilpatrick
- Brian Knight
- Stephen King
- Joe R. Lansdale
- Richard Laymon
- Edward Lee
- Brian Lumley
- James A. Moore
- L. E. Modesitt
- Yvonne Navarro
- William F. Nolan
- Norman Partridge
- Tom Piccirilli
- Bruce Holland Rogers
- Al Sarrantonio
- Allen Steele
- Steve Rasnic Tem
- Jeffrey Thomas
- F. Paul Wilson
- Alan M. Clark's official website
- A list of credits and awards on Mr. Clark's official site
- The first German Alan M. Clark Fanpage, designed and built by Dieter Annecke
- Alan M. Clark at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database