|Full name||Alan McClatchey|
16 September 1956 |
|Stroke(s)||Freestyle, butterfly and individual medlay|
|Club||Warrender Baths Club|
|College team||Michigan Wolverines|
Alan McClatchey (born 16 September 1956) is a British former swimmer who competed in the 1976 Summer Olympics in Montreal, Canada and won a bronze medal as part of the British 4x200 m freestyle relay with Gordon Downie, David Dunne and Brian Brinkley. He swam for Warrender Baths Club in Edinburgh, Scotland. He also swam for the University of Michigan while studying there.
In 1975 McClatchey competed for Scotland at the Three-nations tournament in Prague, Czechoslovakia and at the eight-nations swimming tournament in Mallorca, Spain. He won a silver medal at the 1975 World Championships in Cali, Colombia as part of the British 4x200 m freestyle relay with Gordon Downie, Brian Brinkley and Gary Jameson In 1976, apart from winning a bronze medal at the Olympics, he broke the British records for the 400 m freestyle, the 200 m butterfly and the 400 m individual medlay, the latter while swimming for Great Britain at the Europa Cup in Italy. He also swam for Britain in the 1977 European Aquatics Championships in Jönköping, Sweden, won seven Scottish and seven British championships that year and represented Scotland at the annual eight-nations match. He represented Scotland at the 1978 Commonwealth Games in Edmonton, Canada and at a four-nations match in the Netherlands the same year. McClatchey again represented Scotland at the eight-nations tournament in 1979, broke the Scottish record for the 100 yards butterfly and swam in the 1979 Summer Universiade (World Student Games) in Mexico. In 1980 McClatchey swam for Scotland in the eight-nations match (at the Royal Commonwealth Pool in Edinburgh) for the last time and also represented Scotland at an international match in Bremen, Germany.
- "Olympics". sports-reference. Retrieved 5 May 2012.
- Staff (15 January 2013) Permanent wall exhibition to chart 125 year history of Warrender Swimming Club The Scotsman, Retrieved 24 january 2013
- Michigan the Olympics 1976 - Montreal
- Gilmour, Jamie (1990). One Hundred years of Warrender baths Club. Macdonald Lindsay Pindar. ISBN 0951678701.
- Medallists at the FINA World Swimming Championships HistoFINA, Volume IV, Tome IV, Before Rome 2009, Retrieved 22 April 2013
- (1977) Alan McClatchey The Sports Org, Swimming, Retrieved 2 June 2013
- Lonsbrough, Anita (2006-03-21). "Commonwealth Games: Determined McClatchey is the flower of Scotland". The Daily Telegraph (London).
- Caitlin McClatchey Team GB, British Olympic Association, Retrieved 23 April 2013
- (2013) GP team at Wrington Vale Medical Practice Wrington Vale Medical Practice Website, Pudding Pie lane, Langford, Bristol BS40 5EL, UK, Retrieved 8 December 2013
- Chambers, Pippa (28 December 2010) New and modern surgery for 9,000 patients The North Somerset Times, Retrieved 8 December 2013
|This article about a United Kingdom Olympic medalist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article related to a British swimmer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|