|Thesis||The knowledge based medical record: a design for decision support in general practice (1987)|
|Other notable students|
|Known for||Medical Informatics|
|Notable awards||1st British Computer Society award for lifetime service to Health Informatics (2003)|
Rector's research specialty is clinical terminology, SNOMED, GRAIL, OpenGALEN, biomedical ontologies, Artificial Intelligence in medicine, the Web Ontology Language and the development of the semantic web. He presently leads the CO-ODE and HyOntUse projects developing user-oriented ontology development environments under the JISC and EPSRC Semantic Web and Autonomic Computing initiatives as well as the CLEF project, developing secure and ethical methods to collect live patient record data, under the MRC eScience initiative.
Rector has been a visiting senior scientist at Stanford University. He has been a consultant to the NHS Information Authority, the Mayo Clinic & Hewlett Packard and Siemens Healthcare. He is a member of the Jisc Committee for the Support of Research, the National Cancer Research Institute Board for Bioinformatics, the Joint NHS/Higher Education Forum on Informatics, and the Board of the Academic Forum of the UK Institute for Health Informatics. Rector also serves on the board of HL7-UK, the main standards body for Healthcare Informatics and has been involved with the International World Wide Web Conference and the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C).
His research has been funded by the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council, the Medical Research Council and the Joint Information Systems Committee.
In 2003, he received the 1st British Computer Society Health Informatics Committee award for lifetime service to Health Informatics.
- Alan Rector's publications indexed by Google Scholar, a free service provided by Google
- Mikroyannidi, Eleni (2013). Detection of syntactic and semantic regularities in ontologies (PhD thesis). University of Manchester.
- Qamar, Rahil (2008). Semantic mapping of clinical model data to biomedical terminologies to facilitate interoperability (PhD thesis). University of Manchester.[dead link]
- Rogers, Jeremy Edward (2004). Development of a methodology and an ontological schema for medical terminology (PhD thesis). University of Manchester.[dead link]
- Seidenberg, Julian (2008). Asynchronous multi-user editing of semantic web ontologies (PhD thesis). University of Manchester.(subscription required)
- Seidenberg, J.; Rector, A. (2006). "Web ontology segmentation". Proceedings of the 15th international conference on World Wide Web - WWW '06. p. 13. doi:10.1145/1135777.1135785. ISBN 1595933239.
- Seidenberg, J.; Rector, A. (2007). "A methodology for asynchronous multi-user editing of semantic web ontologies". Proceedings of the 4th international conference on Knowledge capture - K-CAP '07. p. 127. doi:10.1145/1298406.1298430. ISBN 9781595936431.
- Alan Rector from the ACM Portal
- Rector, A. L.; Nowlan, W. A.; Kay, S (1991). "Foundations for an electronic medical record". Methods of information in medicine 30 (3): 179–86. PMID 1943789.
- Rector, A. L. (2003). "Modularisation of domain ontologies implemented in description logics and related formalisms including OWL". Proceedings of the international conference on Knowledge capture - K-CAP '03. p. 121. doi:10.1145/945645.945664. ISBN 1581135831.
- Rector, Alan (1987). The knowledge based medical record: a design for decision support in general practice (PhD thesis). University of Manchester.(subscription required)
- Alan Rector's publications indexed by the DBLP Bibliography Server at the University of Trier
- Rector, A. (1999). "Clinical terminology: Why is it so hard?". Methods of information in medicine 38 (4–5): 239–252. doi:10.1267/METH99040239. PMID 10805008.
- Rector, A.; Rogers, J.; Bittner, T. (2006). "Granularity, scale and collectivity: When size does and does not matter". Journal of Biomedical Informatics 39 (3): 333–349. doi:10.1016/j.jbi.2005.08.010. PMID 16515892.
- Rector, A. L.; Brandt, S. (2008). "Why Do It the Hard Way? The Case for an Expressive Description Logic for SNOMED". Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association 15 (6): 744–751. doi:10.1197/jamia.M2797. PMC 2585532. PMID 18755993.
- Rector, A.; Bechhofer, S.; Goble, C.; Horrocks, I.; Nowlan, W.; Solomon, W. (1997). "The GRAIL concept modelling language for medical terminology" (PDF). Artificial Intelligence in Medicine 9 (2): 139–171. doi:10.1016/S0933-3657(96)00369-7. PMID 9040895.
- Rector, A.; Solomon, W.; Nowlan, W.; Rush, T.; Zanstra, P.; Claassen, W. (1995). "A Terminology Server for medical language and medical information systems". Methods of information in medicine 34 (1–2): 147–157. PMID 9082124.
- Smith, B.; Ceusters, W.; Klagges, B.; Köhler, J.; Kumar, A.; Lomax, J.; Mungall, C.; Neuhaus, F.; Rector, A. L.; Rosse, C. (2005). "Relations in biomedical ontologies". Genome Biology 6 (5): R46. doi:10.1186/gb-2005-6-5-r46. PMC 1175958. PMID 15892874.
- Rector, A. (2001). "AIM: A personal view of where I have been and where we might be going". Artificial intelligence in medicine 23 (1): 111–127. doi:10.1016/s0933-3657(01)00078-1. PMID 11470219.
- Rector, A.; Drummond, N.; Horridge, M.; Rogers, J.; Knublauch, H.; Stevens, R.; Wang, H.; Wroe, C. (2004). "OWL Pizzas: Practical Experience of Teaching OWL-DL: Common Errors & Common Patterns" 3257. pp. 63–81. doi:10.1007/978-3-540-30202-5_5.
- http://www2006.org/speakers/rector/ Alan Rector speaker information from WWW2006
- Alan Rector introduction on public-semweb-lifesci mailing list
- *Grants awarded to Alan Rector by the EPSRC