Early life and education
Richman is a graduate of the General Honors Program at the University of Pennsylvania. He was a cadet in the Army ROTC, and further progressed to serve in the United States Army, including a tour in Vietnam for which he was awarded the Bronze Star. He also toured in the Dominican Republic.
Richman has won 14 James Beard Foundation Journalism Awards for excellence in culinary writing, including two in 2009 for Magazine Feature Writing Without Recipes and Writing on Spirits, Wine, or Beer. He won a National Magazine Award in 1995 for three articles that appeared in GQ.
Richman serves as the Dean of Food Journalism at The French Culinary Institute in New York City. He currently teaches The Craft of Food Writing at The International Culinary Center, founded as the French Culinary Institute.
In 2009, celebrity chefs David Chang and Anthony Bourdain criticized Richman for "his insistence that celebrity chefs actually cook in their own restaurants". Bourdain's latest book, Medium Raw: A Bloody Valentine to the World of Food and the People Who Cook, contains a chapter entitled "Alan Richman Is a Douchebag" expounding on his view of Richman.
- "WEDDINGS; Lettie Teague, Alan Richman". The New York Times, October 2, 1994. October 2, 1994. Archived from the original on 29 April 2010. Retrieved April 23, 2010.
- "From Pagano's to Pop's". Penn Arts and Sciences Magazine, Winter 1998.
- "The Only Game in Town: The Death of Sportswriting". Philadelphia Magazine, August, 2007.
- "Alan Richman: Meet GQ's fearless food and wine critic". GQ.
- "A Toast to Alan Richman". GQ, May 4, 2009.
- "2009 JAMES BEARD FOUNDATION AWARDS WINNERS ANNOUNCED". JAMES BEARD FOUNDATION, May 4, 2009.
- "National Magazine Awards Searchable Database". American Society of Magazine Editors.
- "BOOK CAPSULE REVIEW: Fork it Over". Entertainment Weekly, Kim Severson, October 29, 2004.
- "'Faerie Folk' Strike Back With Fritters". New York Times, Kim Severson, December 6, 2006. December 6, 2006. Retrieved April 23, 2010.
- "Ten Things Anthony Bourdain and David Chang Hate". New York Magazine, Alexandra Peers, October 10, 2009.
- Ozersky, Josh (June 8, 2010). "In Medium Raw, Bourdain Is the Last Honest Man". TIME.