Alan E. Sears was the Staff Executive Director of the Meese Commission, which investigated pornography in the United States in the 1980s. Currently Sears is the president, CEO, and general counsel of the Alliance Defense Fund and a columnist at Townhall.com.
Sears was a federal prosecutor in Ed Meese's Justice Department during the presidency of Ronald Reagan. While employed by the Justice Department he was the Staff Executive Director of the Attorney General's Commission on Pornography. In the Spring of 1986 Sears became notorious for sending a letter from the Commission over his own signature to thousands of retailers warning them, in an attempt to intimidate them into not selling Playboy and Penthouse, that they might be publically identified as pornography dealers. As a result of this letter more than 17,000 retailers stopped carrying the magazine. Christie Hefner, daughter of Hugh Hefner and president of Playboy Magazine, joined Penthouse International in suing the Meese Commission over Sears's letter. Judge John Garrett Penn ordered the Meese Commission to retract the letter, and Sears quit the Department of Justice in disgust, moving to the Department of the Interior.
- Sears, Alan; Craig Osten (2003). The Homosexual Agenda: Exposing the Principal Threat to Religious Freedom Today. B&H Books. ISBN 978-0-8054-2698-4.
- Sears, Alan; Craig Osten (2005). The ACLU vs. America: Exposing the Agenda to Redefine Moral Values. 978-0805440454.
- Exposed: The Porn Wars. Orange Coast Magazine. October 1986. p. 116. ISSN 0279-0483. Retrieved 27 April 2013.
- Dangerous Relationships: Pornography, Misogyny and Rape. SAGE Publications. 13 May 1998. p. 17. ISBN 978-0-7619-0525-7. Retrieved 27 April 2013.
- Carol Thurston (1987). The Romance Revolution: Erotic Novels for Women and the Quest for a New Sexual Identity. University of Illinois Press. p. 161. ISBN 978-0-252-01247-1. Retrieved 27 April 2013.
- David Jennings (1 June 2000). Skinflicks: The Inside Story of the X-Rated Video Industry. AuthorHouse. p. 344. ISBN 978-1-58721-184-3. Retrieved 27 April 2013.
- Townhall.com, Accessed December 26, 2007
- Alliance Defense Fund's Biography for Alan Sears
- The ACLU Never Forgets Its Pro-Communist Roots by Alan Sears
- WorldNetDaily.com, August 25, 2005, "Alan Sears joins WND columnist lineup: Defender of liberty, former federal prosecutor to write weekly column"
|This American law-related biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|