Alana Newhouse is an American writer and editor.
Early life and education
Newhouse grew up in Lawrence, New York. She is a graduate of the Hebrew Academy of the Five Towns and Rockaway, a 1997 graduate of Barnard College, and a 2002 graduate of the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism.
After college, Newhouse worked for political consultant David Garth. Her journalism career began at The Forward, where she was a religion reporter before being named Arts and Culture editor in 2003. In 2008 she became editor of Nextbook. She established Tablet Magazine for Nextbook in 2009.
Newhouse is a contributor to other media outlets, most notably The New York Times. In April 2010, she reported on a new discovery related to the photography of Roman Vishniac for The New York Times Magazine and, in July 2010, penned a controversial essay on Jewish conversion in Israel for the op-ed page titled "The Diaspora Need Not Apply".
- A living lens: photographs of Jewish life from the pages of the Forward, 2007
Newhouse lives in Brooklyn Heights with her partner, David Samuels.
- Gal Beckerman (March 2, 2006). "The personal allure of religion". The Jerusalem Post. Retrieved 31 March 2011.
- The Jewish Star: "A new read on Jewish life: Alana Newhouse and Tablet Magazine" September 9, 2009
- Alana Newhouse (June 8, 2006). "Modern Orthodoxy's Marriage Crisis". The Jewish Journal of Greater Los Angeles. Retrieved 31 March 2011.
- Sam Roberts (July 25, 1989). "A Strategist Sees if His Hand Is Still Hot". The New York Times. Retrieved 31 March 2011.
- Nell Gluckman (July 31, 2008). "Alana Newhouse To Lead Nextbook.org". The New York Sun. Retrieved 31 March 2011.
- Andrew Silow-Carroll (August 27, 2008). "I could write a book...". The Jerusalem Post. Retrieved 31 March 2011.
- David Carr (June 9, 2009). "A New Online Magazine About Jewish News and Culture,". The New York Times. Retrieved 31 March 2011.
- B. Solomont (June 10, 2005). "Tablet Magazine' launches in attempt to set Jewish life to multimedia". The Jerusalem Post. Retrieved 31 March 2011.
- Alana Newhouse (April 1, 2010). "A Closer Reading of Roman Vishniac". The New York Times Magazine. Retrieved 31 March 2011.
- Alana Newhouse (July 15, 2010). "The Diaspora Need Not Apply". The New York Times. Retrieved 31 March 2011.
|This biographical article about a print editor of the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|