Alandur (Tamil: ஆலந்தூர்) is a neighbourhood in the southern part of Chennai, a city situated on the east coast of the southern India, and an urban municipality in Kancheepuram district in the state of Tamil Nadu, India. Alandur had a population of 146,154 in the 2001 census. The town agglomeration of Alandur has an estimated population of 300,000 by the year 2030. Alandur neighbours the St. Thomas Mount Cantontment, the Officers Training Academy of the Indian army and the nearby towns of Guindy and Adambakkam. Mr. M. G. Ramachandran, a former chief minister of Tamil Nadu started his political career by winning his first legislative election from Alandur in 1967.
Alandur also holds famous landmarks of Chennai namely Nehru Statue and Kathipara Junction.
Transportation Infrastructure 
Alandur is well connected with road network system and round the clock bus facility is available. Kathipara Junction is at Alandur; there are severl bus routes.
The nearest railway station is St. Thomas Mount Railway Station; there are plans to accommodate five modes of public transport - suburban railway, Southern Railway, Metro Rail, MRTS and public buses. The St. Thomas Mount Railway station will be providing a facility to accommodate 1200 cars. This will be the first time that a commercial space of two floors will be attached with the transit station. The work is in-progress and is expected to be completed by the year 2015.
Alandur is located at 13°02′N 80°13′E / 13.03°N 80.21°E. It has an average elevation of 12 metres (39 feet).
At the 2001 India census, Alandur had a population of 146,154. Males constituted 51% of the population and females 49%. Alandur had an average literacy rate of 84%, higher than the national average of 59.5%; with 53% of the males and 47% of females literate. 10% of the population was under 6 years of age. In 2011, the population of Alandur increased to 164,162 with a growth rate of 12 percent.
- Aerokids International Preschool
- AJS Nidhi Higher Secondary School
- St.Peters Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- Sri Chakaravarthy International Matriculation Academy
- PSBB Millennium School
- Mont fort high School
- Kiruba primary School
- Modern Senior Secondary school
- Bright Play School
- Emmanuel primary school
Education Trust 
*NAJA Educational and Social Charitable Trust & Alandur Baithulmaal Trust
Grocery Market 
MGR Market or Alandur grocery market is about 200 years old. Its located in the middle of MKN Road (MKN Road starts from Guindy and ends at Meenabakkam Airport in GST Road). Alandur grocery market was donated to local marketeers by Mr. M. G. Ramachandran, a philanthropist and a former chief minister of Tamil Nadu.
Temples, Churches & Masjids 
Most of the temples, mosques and churches in Alandur are over 200 years old.
Temples & Associations 
Many temples still follow the old rituals and conducts the annual festivals which attracts devotees from all over India.
- Thulukathu Amman Koil (More than 250 years old)
- Sri Veera Anjaneya Temple (More than 200 years old)
- Dharmaraja Koil (Lord Draupadi Amman; more than 200 years old)
- Sri Subramanya Swamy Koil (More than 200 years old)
- Vembuli Amman Koil (More than 50 years old)
- Vedapuriswara koil (Lord Shiva and Vishnu; more than 50 years old)
- Angala Amman koil (More than 50 years old)
- Karpaga vinayagar Koil
- Padai Veetu Amman Koil
- Kadumbadi Amman Koil
- Ponni Amman Koil
- Vasupujya Swami Jain Shwetamber Temple
- Alandur Nagara Sri Ayappa Seva Sangam (Celebrated Golden Jubilee Year (1959–2009))
- Udumalaipettai Nagaraja Bhagavatar Bhajan Seva Mandali Trust Regd.
- Bhaktavatsala Anjenayar temple
- Dharmalingeshwarar temple
- lakshmi narasimhar temple
- Sri hayavadhana Temple
- Ardhanareeshwarar temple
- Siddhi vinayagar temple
- Hindu colony vinayagar temple etc..
- Premium Sign
- St.Anthony's Church
- Christ Church
- Garrison Church
- Trinity Assembly of God
- Scared Heart Church, Nobel Street
- مسجد Masjid-a-Poorni Labbai (170 year oldest Mosque in Alandur)
- مسجد Masjid-a-Ahle-Hadees (150 year oldest Mosque in Alandur)
- مسجد Masjid-e-Azeemjahi-Golandazi (125 year oldest Mosque in Alandur)
- Masjid-a-Rahmania (Ahle Hadees- cement road)
- Masjid Taqwa
- Masjid Tayyib
- Masjid TNTJ
Alandur (State Assembly Constituency) is part of Chennai South (Lok Sabha constituency).
Location in Context 
|Places of interest
- Arignar Anna Zoological Park
- Ashtabujakaram, Kanchipuram
- Cholamandal Artists' Village
- Descent of the Ganges, Mamallapuram
- Ekambareswarar Temple, Kanchipuram
- V. G. P. Golden Beach
- Kailasanathar Temple, Kanchipuram
- Kalyana Varadharaja Perumal Temple, Kanchipuram
- Kamakshi Amman Temple, Kanchipuram
- Kundrathur Murugan Temple, Kundrathur
- Madras Atomic Power Station, Kalpakkam
- Madras Crocodile Bank Trust
- Neervalur, Kanchipuram
- Pancha Rathas, Mamallapuram
- Rajiv Gandhi Memorial, Sriperumbudur
- Shore Temple, Mamallapuram
- St. Thomas Mount
- Subrahmanya Temple, Saluvankuppam
- Thirukadalmallai, Mamallapuram
- Tirusoolanathar Temple, Tirusoolam
- Tiruththanka, Kanchipuram
- Tiruvekkaa, Kanchipuram
- Tiruvelukkai, Kanchipuram
- Varadharaja Perumal Temple, Kanchipuram
- Varaha Cave Temple, Mamallapuram
- Vedanthangal Bird Sanctuary
|Religious and monastic institutions