Alaska elections, 2012
|Elections in Alaska|
The Alaska 2012 general elections were held on November 6, 2012. Primary elections were held on August 28, 2012.
U.S. House of Representatives
Republican incumbent Don Young, who has represented Alaska's At-large congressional district since 1973, is running for re-election. He defeated John Cox, a retired Navy officer who also ran for the seat in 2010, and Terre Gales, an asset manager and Air Force veteran, in the Republican primary.
State Representative Sharon Cissna sought and received the Democratic nomination to challenge Young. She defeated Debra Chesnut, a nurse and businesswoman; Matt Moore, a businessman; Doug Urquidi, a construction worker and Army veteran; and, Frank Vondersaar, a lawyer and perennial candidate, in the Democratic primary.
Jim McDermott, a business professor, ran as the Libertarian nominee. Ted Gianoutsos is running as an Independent, while Clinton Desjarlais, Fletcher Fuller, Jr., and Sidney Hill are running as write-ins.
Because of redistricting, 19 out of the 20 members of the Alaska Senate are up for election. The state Senate is evenly split between 10 Democrats and 10 Republicans, but consists of a bipartisan coalition majority made up of all 10 Democrats and 6 Republicans, with the remaining 4 Republicans making up the minority.
- Open seats
District C: This is a new seat, with no current incumbent.
District H: This is a new seat, with no current incumbent.
District O (old District Q): Republican incumbent and Coalition member Thomas Wagoner was defeated in the primary.
House of Representatives
All 40 members of the Alaska House of Representatives are up for election. The state House currently consists of 24 Republicans and 16 Democrats, of which 22 Republicans and 4 Democrats make up the majority caucus.
- Open seats
District 1: This is a new seat, with no current incumbent.
District 5: This is a new seat, with no current incumbent.
District 9: This is a new seat, with no current incumbent.
District 13: This is a new seat, with no current incumbent.
- Klint, Chris (February 22, 2012). "Rep. Don Young Files to Run for 21st Term". ktuu.com. Retrieved October 14, 2012.
- Burke, Jill (August 23, 2012). "Long shots face long odds in quest to unseat Alaska Congressman Don Young". Alaska Dispatch. Retrieved October 14, 2012.
- "November 6, 2012 General Election Candidate List". Juneau: Alaska Division of Elections. Retrieved October 14, 2012.
- "Bishop holds slight cash edge over Sudkamp in Alaska Senate race". Associated Press. Fairbanks Daily News-Miner. October 8, 2012. Retrieved October 14, 2012.
- Bohrer, Becky (August 28, 2012). "Menard, Wagoner upset in GOP primaries". Associated Press. Fairbanks Daily News-Miner. Retrieved October 14, 2012.
- "State Senate candidate opposes free meals for kids". Associated Press. Juneau Empire. August 5, 2012. Retrieved October 14, 2012.
- Anderson, Ben (July 25, 2012). "Alaska House primary election primer". Alaska Dispatch. Retrieved October 14, 2012.
- Alaska at Ballotpedia
- Alaska judicial elections, 2012 at Judgepedia
- Alaska 2012 campaign finance data from Follow the Money
- Alaska Congressional Races in 2012 campaign finance data from OpenSecrets.org
- Outside spending at the Sunlight Foundation