|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2014)|
The surname Alavi (often spelled as Alvi and can be also seen spelled as Alaoui or Alawi) (Arabic: علوي) signifies ancestry from Ali ibn Abi Talib (Arabic: علي بن أﺑﻲ طالب), the fourth Caliph of Sunni Islam and the first Imam in Shia Islam. Ali was the cousin and son-in-law of Prophet Muhammad and titled Amir al-Mu'minin (Arabic: أمیر المؤمنین) (Commander of the Faithful) by his followers.
The Alavi or Alvi family can be found in the Middle East, North Africa, Central Asia, North America, Southeast Asia and South Asia. In South Asia, Alavis are scattered in Pakistani cities of Khushab, Chakwal, Mianwali, Rawalpindi, and Attock and also in Bahawalnagar and Gilgit-Baltistan in addition to Northern Indian state of Uttar Pradesh with main concentrations in Kakori near Lucknow and in Rahim yar khan.
In Southeast Asia, Alavis are mainly found in Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore and Mindanao (South Philipine). In Indonesia, the Alavi families mainly live in Sumatra and Java, with less population in east Indonesia such as Sulawesi and Maluku.
Awan - Alavi family
The Awan, or Alvi, is a Punjabi tribe that traces its descent from Imam Ali ibn Abi Talib through his son Al-Abbas ibn Ali, who was the Commander at the Battle of Karbala. It traces its descent through Awn Qutab Shah, the famous general of Mahmud Ghazni who conquered most part of Herat, Afghanistan, and Khorasan. Many famous people belong to this tribe, such as the Nawab of Kalabagh, Air Marshal Nur Khan, Dr. Arif Alvi, Ameer Faisal Alavi, and Amjad Farooq Alvi.
The Alavi of Kakori
The Alavi of Kakori are sometimes referred to as Moulvizadigan (Moulvis) or Makhdoomzadigan (Makhdooms), indicating whether they are descendants of Mullah Abu Bakr Jami Alavi, who settled in Kakori in 1461 or descendants of Qari Amir Saifuddin Alavi, who settled in Kakori in 1512. The spelling of (Arabic: علوي) varied greatly. Although, the Alavi spelling is most prevalent in Iran, but Alvi, Alawi, and Alwi spellings are frequently found in India and some Middle Eastern Countries.They form part of the Kakori Shaikh community.
Notable people with the surname Alvi
- Patrick Alavi, a German Musician
- Abass Alavi, is Professor of Radiology and Neurology
- Abrar Alvi, was an Indian film writer, director and actor
- Ameer Faisal Alvi Awan, was the first General Officer Commanding of the elite Special Service Group of Pakistan Army
- Arif Alvi, is a Pakistani politician
- Bozorg Alavi, was an influential Iranian writer, novelist, and political intellectual
- Hakim ‘Alavi, was a royal Persian physician of the 18th century
- Amjad Farooq Alvi, inventor of the first Computer Virus (cBrain) and Founder of Brain Telecommunications Ltd.
- Hasan Jamil Alvi, is a former Pakistani cricketer
- Moniza Alvi, is a Pakistani-British poet and writer
- Rashid Alvi, a politician from Indian National Congress party is presently a Member of the Parliament of India
- Sajida Alvi, is a female academic of Pakistani origin in Canada
- Sattar Alvi, is a Pakistan Air Force's veteran fighter pilot and retired Air Commodore of Pakistan Air Force
- Shamsur Rehman Alvi, is a journalist with Hindustan Times
- Suroosh Alvi, is a Pakistani Canadian journalist and film-maker
- Shahood Alvi, is a television actor, Pakistan
- Mohammad Alavi (nuclear engineer), is an Iranian nuclear engineer
- Mohammad Alavi Gorgani, is a leading scholar in Najaf, Iraq
- Mohammad Alvi, is an Iranian footballer
- Yousef Alavi, is a mathematician who specializes in combinatorics and graph theory
- Alavi Bohra
- http://www.palikanon.com/english/pali_names/aa/aalavii.htm Alavi in Buddhist Dictionary of Pali Proper Names
|This page or section lists people with the surname Alavi. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|