Albanian keyboard layout
Keyboard layouts used for the Albanian language.
The Albanian keyboard layout is German based (QWERTZ). The specific Albanian characters are directly accessible (ë, Ë, ç, Ç).
A preferable alternative to the default one is Prektora, a (QWERTY) keyboard layout for Windows 8, 7, Vista, XP and 2000 (in 32 and 64 bit) and Mac OS (ë, Ë, ç, Ç, é, É, ô, Ô, â, Â).
Plisi D is another alternative layout based on the U.S. mechanical keyboard and layout and supplemented with adaptations from the German T2 and QWERTZ Albanian layouts. It is available in two variants, Plisi D1 and Plisi D2. Thus far, Plisi.al has released installation files only for Windows XP, Vista, 7, and 8 (both 32- and 64-bit editions). Plisi.al has also created other alternative layouts as part of a testing phase, but recommends Plisi D as the most suitable option for Albanian users.
Both Plisi D1 and Plisi D2 are based on the U.S. QWERTY layout. The two variants differ only as to the breadth of characters included. Plisi D1 is a simple layout focusing on the standard Albanian orthography, which includes the basic 26 letters of the Latin alphabet plus Ë and Ç. These two characters and the colon and semicolon are located on the same keys as in the official layout (the default Windows layout). The brackets and braces are relegated to the third level, accessible by AltGr + digits (7 through 0); AltGr + 4, in the meantime, produces the Euro sign.
Plisi D2 includes all the characters available in Plisi D1 and an extended set of Level 3 characters and a secondary group. The Level 3 and the secondary group are almost the same as in the German T2 keyboard. However, no dead keys are available in Level 1 and 2; they are all relegated to Level 3. Using Plisi D2, one may type in almost any language using Unicode Latin characters.
The author of the Plisi layouts states he intend to promote Plisi D1 and Plisi D2 to be adopted as national standards in Albania, Kosovo, and Macedonia, the three countries where Albanian is a national language or official at some level of government.
Other alternative layouts available for download from Plisi.al include Plisi A, Plisi 1W, and Plisi 2W. They are all based on the US keyboard. Plisi A is similar to the Plisi D series, but is less compatible with ISO standards as it uses a fourth level of characters. Plisi 1W and 2W are based on the U.S. International layout and provide a different arrangement of letters that may be preferable for older generations accustomed to using W as a replacement for Ë. The two layouts are similar, but Plisi 1W is somewhat more sophisticated and may cover more languages.
JLG Extended Keyboard Layout
The JLG Extended Keyboard Layout is a layout working on a US keyboard layout. This layout allows to make all specific Albanian characters.
- ë = CTRL + " then e, or Alt + 0235
- Ë = CTRL + " then E, or Alt + 0203
- ç = CTRL +, then c, or Alt + 0231
- Ç = CTRL +, then C, or Alt + 0199
- Koha.net, "Një tastierë e re për gjuhën shqipe (published 2014-02-19, accessed 2014-02-20)
- Plisi.al, "Tastiera Plisi D" (last updated 2014-02-06, accessed 2014-02-12)
- Plisi.al, "Tastiera" (accessed 2014-02-12)
- Plisi.al, "Doracak për tastierën Plisi D" (last updated 2014-02-06, accessed 2014-02-12)
- Plisi.al, "Tastiera Plisi A" (created 2013-11-13, accessed 2014-02-12)
- Plisi.al, "Tastiera Plisi 1W" (last updated 2013-11-10, accessed 2014-02-12)
- Albanian QWERTY keyboard layout for Windows and Mac OS (Prektora)
- Plisi D1 and Plisi D2 alternative keyboard layouts for Windows
- Albanian keyboard installation on Windows XP