|This article may be expanded with text translated from the corresponding article in the French Wikipedia. (January 2013)|
The wine of Albania is characterized by its unique sweetness and indigenous varieties. Albania produced an estimated 17,500 tonnes of wine in 2009. The geographic elevation of Albania makes it a perfect setting for wine production. During communism, the production area expanded to some 20,000 hectares (49,000 acres). The Albanian wine industry is striving to re-establish an international presence in line with its long reputation as a quality wine producer.
Albania has one of Europe's longest histories of viticulture. Ancient Roman writer Pliny describes Albanian wine as "very sweet or luscious" and refers to it as "[taking] the third rank among all the wines". Albanian families are traditionally known to grow grapes in their gardens for producing wine and Rakia.
Communism up to present 
|This section requires expansion. (April 2011)|
Albanian wine held a reputation among foreigners for its distinct and good quality. During the communist rule, almost all plantations were dedicated to export. After the collapse of communism, many new wineries were opened by expats returning home from Italy and other countries.
Wine regions 
Albania is divided into four wine producing regions:
- Western lowland,
- Central hilly region
- Eastern sub mountainous region
Some of the most important wineries (Albanian: kantina) in Albania include Rilindja, Skenderbeu, Çobo, Luani, Bardha, Arberi, Sara, Vintage, Kardinal, and Kokomani.
According to Nasse and Zigori (1968) the best native Albanian wine varieties are Debine (noir and blanche), Kallmet, Mereshnik, Mjaltez, Serine (rouge and blanche), Shesh i Bardhe, and Vlosh. The best wine producing areas are around Berat, Korca, Tirana, Durres and between Lezha and Shkodra.
See also 
- "Wine production (tons)". Food and Agriculture Organization. p. 28. Archived from the original on 20 May 2011. Retrieved 2011-04-18.
- http://www.winealbania.com Wine Albania Portal
- The Laws of Fermentation and the Wines of the Ancients. Bronson Press. p. 41. Retrieved 2011-04-10.
- "The technology of wine making". Avi Pub. Co. p. 42. Retrieved 2011-04-10.
- Albania. Bradt. p. 42. Retrieved 2011-04-10.
- Wine Albania Portal
- Kallmet Municipality Official Website
- Albanian Association of Sommeliers
- Some Brands of Albanian Wine