He has served in different capacities as a teacher and administrator in New York public schools over the course of his professional career.
Vann served as a member of the New York State Assembly-representing the 56th District-from 1975-2001.
After leaving the Assembly, Vann made a successful bid for the 36th seat on the New York City Council, which he represented from 2001 through 2013.
He is a member of Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity.
He is one of the founders of Medgar Evers College of the City University of New York, and is also one of the founders of the African American Teachers Association. Vann is a former instructor at Vassar College's Urban Center for Black Studies.
In the November 3, 2009 election Vann was challenged by Mark Winston Griffith (Drum Major Institute executive director), who ran on the Working Families Party ballot line. Vann defeated Griffith and went on to serve until 2013, when term limits prevented him from seeking re-election. He was succeeded by fellow Democrat Robert Cornegy, Jr. on January 1, 2014.
Response To Sean Bell Shooting
In response to the death of Sean Bell - apparently from the guns of NYPD officers - Albert Vann alleged that his shooting was caused by "institutional racism."  He then proceeded to mock the suggestion that African-American New Yorkers living in high-crime neighborhoods should adopt certain behaviors in order to avoid confrontations with police officers.
- Council Member- District: 36 Albert Vann- Democrat
- Kareem Fahim, "Once a Young Turk, Now Challenged by One" "New York Times," November 1, 2009 http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/02/nyregion/02vann.html
- "Hello, Mayor Bloombergforever: City Council Votes to Pass Term Limits Extension, 29-22" http://gothamist.com/2008/10/23/city_council_votes_to.php
- "Mark Winston Griffith Wins Key Last Minute Endorsements, of Rev. Sharpton and NY Daily News" September 14, 2009 http://www.brooklynron.com/2009/09/mark-winston-griffith-wins-key-last-minute-endorsements-of-rev-sharpton-and-ny-daily-news.html
- Official NYC Council Website about Albert Vann
- 2005 NYC Voter Guide: Candidate Profile: Albert Vann
- District boundaries for 36th Council district
- A Toy Gun, A Real Crime
- Playing Race Card In Brooklyn
|New York State Assembly, 56th District
|New York City Council, 36th District
Robert Cornegy, Jr.