Alberto Bustani Adem
Alberto Bustani is a Mexican engineer and educator.
Bustani holds a Bachelor's degree in Chemical Engineering from the Monterrey Institute of Technology and Higher Education (1976) and a Doctorate Degree (PhD) from the University of Sheffield (1987).
From 1979 to 1983 Bustani worked in research and development for HYL then a subsidiary of HYLSA (now TENOVA HYL of Techint Group), a steel company based in Monterrey, Nuevo León, Mexico in the area of direct reduction of iron ores. During this time he was awarded with a patent of a direct reduction process.
He worked for 25 years at Tecnologico de Monterrey (Monterrey Institute of Technology and Higher Education) where he held different academic and administrative positions (1987 to 2012)
Tecnologico de Monterrey System
Monterrey Institute of Technology and Higher Education
He was President of the main campus of Tecnologico de Monterrey (Monterrey Institute of Technology and Higher Education) from 2001 to 2010. The Monterrey Campus is the main and largest campus of Tecnologico de Monterrey.
Under his tenure he proposed and implemented a knowledge-based research grant system (called "Cátedras de Investigación") The program had the specific goals of consolidating research activities, for focused accomplishments and increased credibility, developing and expanding the graduate programs and their quality, and obtaining increased funding from Government and from Industry. In eight years external sponsorship of research activities grew from $3 million USD to around $30 million USD per year. The number of patents filed per year became consistently the highest among Mexican Universities or National Research Institutions. In 2007, the Monterrey Campus received the National Technology Award from the President of México
In 2001 he supported an initiative at the university called the "Sustainable Campus Program", which was developed to encompass a wider, and more inclusive view of Sustainable Development in teaching and learning, research, outreach and operational activities of the Monterrey Campus.
In 2003, the Monterrey Campus received the National Quality Award (Premio Nacional de Calidad de México), the most important recognition delivered by the President of México to organizations that are distinguished by their high performance.
While at the university, Bustani also held the position of Dean of the School of Engineering and Architecture (1998–2001), Director of the Center for Environmental Quality (1992–1998) and Head of the Chemical Engineering Department (1987–1992).
Awards and recognitions
He was awarded the Romulo Garza Award Prize (Premio Romulo Garza) on teaching and research in Monterrey, Nuevo León, Mexico in 1992.
Keynote Speaker at Virginia Tech Graduate Commencement Ceremony of May 11 of 2007. First international Commencement Speaker for this University. Speech title:What should we consider in looking beyond?
- US patent 4556417, "Process for the direct reduction of iron ores", published 3 December 1985, assigned to Hylsa, S.A.
- Menchaca, Andrea (3 March 2012). "Sale Bustani del Tec". El Norte.
- "Programa Mexico" (in Spanish). WWF Mexico. Retrieved 13 August 2010.
- Tapia, Jonathan (23 November 2010). "Dan a conocer vicerrectores del Tecnológico de Monterrey". Milenio.
- Cantu, Francisco; Bustani, Alberto (2009). "A knowledge-based development model: the research chair strategy". Journal of Knowledge Management 13 (1): 154–170. doi:10.1108/13673270910931233.
- Torres, Armando (2 February 2012). "ITESM con más generación de patentes". El Economista.
- Flores, Javier (9 August 2008). "Entregan IX Premio Nacional de Tecnología". La Jornada.
- Lozano, F.; Huisingh, D. (2006). An Integrated, Interconnected, Multi-disciplinary Approach for Fostering Sustainable Development at the Monterrey Institute of Technology, Monterrey Campus (Technical report). UNESCO. Technical Report No.3, pp 37-47.
- es:Premio Nacional de Calidad
- "University Hosts Events in Mexico". The University of Sheffield. Retrieved 13 August 2010.
- "Recibe distinción Alberto Bustani" (in Spanish). universia. Retrieved 13 August 2010.
- Bird, Lindsey (21 November 2005). "University hosts events in Mexico". The University of Sheffield Media Centre.
- "Entregan Premio Rómulo Garza" (in Spanish). Monterrey Institute of Technology and Higher Education. Retrieved 25 November 2010.
- Rachel, Judy (Summer 2007). "Graduate Commencement Hosts First International Speaker". Global University. Virginia Tech Newsletter. Vol. 4. No. 2. Summer 2007.
- "Alberto Bustani to be Graduate Commencement Speaker". newswise. 4 May 2007.