||This article's lead section may not adequately summarize key points of its contents. (November 2012)|
23 December 1952 |
|Institutions||Polytechnic University of Turin, Istituto Nazionale di Ricerca Metrologica in Turin|
Alberto Carpinteri (born 23 December 1952) is an Italian professor and engineer.
Alberto Carpinteri is professor in science of construction at the Polytechnic University of Turin and was director of the Istituto Nazionale di Ricerca Metrologica (INRiM) in Turin. He is a member of the New York Academy of Sciences.
He is mainly known for his contribution in the study of piezonuclear fission, which is the purported theory that "compressing solids can provoke nucleus-splitting reactions without emitting gamma-rays or producing nuclear waste".
In 2013 INRiM was set in temporary receivership and Carpinteri dismissed after the resignation of two-thirds of the board of directors in objection of Carpinteri's support in the purported theory of piezonuclear fission.
Prizes and honours
- Odone Belluzzi Prize for Science of Constructions, University of Bologna (1976)
- Medal Robert L'Hermite, RILEM (1982)
- NATO Senior Scholarship – Lehigh University, Pennsylvania (1982) – Northwestern University, Illinois (1985)
- Medal of Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers (1993)
- Honorary degree in Physics, Constantinian University, Rhode Island (1994)
- Honoris Causa Professor, Nanjing University, China (1996)
- Honoris Causa Professor, Albert Schweitzer University of Ginevra, Switzerland (2000)
- Wessex Institute of Technology International Prize, Southampton, UK (2000)
- Griffith Medal for Fractural Mechanics, ESIS (2008)
- Emiliano Feresin (13 June 2012). "Italian scientists win battle to halt controversial research : Nature News & Comment". Nature.com. Retrieved 26 November 2012.
- Tiziana Moriconi (6 June 2012). "Galileo – Giornale di Scienza | Cos'è il piezonucleare e perché è una follia finanziarlo". Galileonet.it. Retrieved 26 November 2012.
- Elena Dusi (5 June 2012). ""Basta soldi agli studi inutili" scienziati anti-fusione fredda". Repubblica.it. Retrieved 26 November 2012.
- Antonio Spallone, Odoardo Maria Calamai, Paolo Tripodi (23 August 2010). "Remarks on "Piezonuclear neutrons from fracturing of inert solids"". Physics Letters A.
- Deformed Spacetime. Springer. 2007. ISBN 978-1-4020-6282-7.
- Antonio Socci (7 November 2007). La scoperta della nuova energia