Albion River Bridge
|Albion River Bridge|
|Locale||Albion, Mendocino County, California, USA|
|Maintained by||California Department of Transportation|
|ID number||CA 10-136, BH 11122|
|Design||wooden deck truss bridge|
|Material||wood, with a steel center truss|
The Albion River Bridge is a wooden deck truss bridge crossing the Albion River in Mendocino County, California. It is the only remaining wooden bridge on California State Route 1; dramatic views of the bridge are visible from the nearby town of Albion, California.
The Albion River has been crossed by a bridge since 1861, when a state franchise was granted to the Albion Bridge Company (renewed in 1863 to the Albion River Bridge Company). However, until the present bridge was built in 1944, the crossing was low, and could be reached only by treacherous grades up and down the bluffs on either side of the river.
In 1944, the present span was opened. It was built during World War II, and because concrete and steel were in short supply during the war, it was built of salvaged wood, treated with a copper azole preservative. It includes a steel center truss that was also salvaged, possibly from an older bridge in Oregon, supported by concrete towers. It is 970 feet (300 m) long and its deck is 26 feet (7.9 m) wide. As of 2000 it carries approximately 3200 vehicles per day.
However, in 2009, the California Department of Transportation proposed to replace the bridge and the nearby bridge over Salmon Creek to the south. The timbers of the existing bridge remain in good condition, but the central steel truss has been corroded and needs replacement, and the bridge deck does not meet modern safety standards for its width and rail design, rendering it functionally obsolete. The planned replacement bridge would feature a wider deck with separate pedestrian walkways.
- "U 147 reset". NGS data sheet. U.S. National Geodetic Survey.
- Welcome to Mendocino County, Mendocino Coast Chamber of Commerce, 2009.
- Kim, Susan C. (May 4, 2008), All quiet on the Navarro Coast, CNN.
- Index to the laws of California, 1850-1893, Bancroft-Whitney Company, 1894.
- Tahja, Katy M. (2008), Early Mendocino Coast, Images of America, Arcadia Publishing, p. 54, ISBN 978-0-7385-5946-9.
- Albion River Bridge, Historical Bridges of the U.S., retrieved 2010-08-21.
- Wood Towers Feature of Albion Span, The Timberman 46 (1), 1944: 88.
- Albion Bridge, Scenic Bridge Railings, retrieved 2010-08-22.
- Albion River Bridge, Structurae, retrieved 2010-08-22.
- Salmon Creek/Albion River Bridge Replacement, California Department of Transportation, retrieved 2010-08-21.
- Hartzell, Frank (May 14, 2009), Historic coast bridges marked for replacement, Mendocino Beacon.