Albrighton railway station
|Local authority||Shropshire Council|
|Managed by||London Midland|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures and station information
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|12 November 1849||Opened|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Albrighton from Office of Rail Regulation statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK Railways portal|
Albrighton railway station, on the former Great Western Railway's London (Paddington) to Birkenhead via Birmingham (Snow Hill) line, serves the large village of Albrighton in Shropshire, England. The former up goods yard is now occupied by a small estate of low rise offices.
Passenger numbers using the station have increased dramatically in the last 10 years, with Albrighton being a popular "dormitory village" for commuters to the West Midlands conurbation.
Opened by the Shrewsbury and Birmingham Railway, it became part of the Great Western Railway, staying there during the Grouping of 1923. The line then passed on to the London Midland Region of British Railways on nationalisation in 1948.
The station is currently undergoing a refurbishment, at a cost of £1.5 million, which commenced in spring 2012. The project is supported by the local civic society and will see the listed buildings and structures restored.
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|Codsall||Arriva Trains Wales
Birmingham - Chester
Wolverhampton - Shrewsbury
- Shropshire Star Albrighton rail station on track to get new lease of life (20 April 2013)
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-8526-0508-1. OCLC 60251199.
- Jowett, Alan (March 1989). Jowett's Railway Atlas of Great Britain and Ireland: From Pre-Grouping to the Present Day (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-8526-0086-1. OCLC 22311137.
- Jowett, Alan (2000). Jowett's Nationalised Railway Atlas (1st ed.). Penryn, Cornwall: Atlantic Transport Publishers. ISBN 0-9068-9999-0. OCLC 228266687.
- Station on navigable O.S. map
|This article about a Shropshire building or structure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article on a railway station in the West Midlands region is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|