Alcolu, South Carolina
|Alcolu, South Carolina|
|Census-designated place & Unincorporated community (CDP)|
|• Total||4.570 sq mi (11.84 km2)|
|• Land||4.549 sq mi (11.78 km2)|
|• Water||0.021 sq mi (0.05 km2)|
|Elevation||125 ft (38 m)|
|• Density||100/sq mi (38/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1230998|
Alcolu is an unincorporated community and census-designated place in Clarendon County, South Carolina. As of the 2010 census, its population was 429. Alcolu has a post office with ZIP code 29001, which opened on August 17, 1888.
Alcolu was established between 1885 and 1890 by D.W. Alderman and Sons as a mill town for their lumber company. The name Alcolu is derived from “Al” as in Alderman, “Co” as in Coldwell (a friend), and “Lu” as in Lula, the only daughter of the Aldermans at that time. In 1947 the mill was sold by the Alderman family to Williams Furniture Company. Williams merged with Georgia Pacific in 1968.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Alcolu". Geographic Names Information System, U.S. Geological Survey.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- United States Postal Service (2012). "USPS - Look Up a ZIP Code". Retrieved 2012-02-15.
- "Postmaster Finder - Post Offices by ZIP Code". United States Postal Service. Retrieved December 21, 2012.
- U.S. Geological Survey. Best Practices National Structures Dataset. http://bpgeo.cr.usgs.gov/. 30-Jul-2008.