|Event||2009–10 Copa del Rey
Round of 32
|Alcorcón qualify for the Round of 16|
|Date||27 October 2009|
|Venue||Estadio Santo Domingo, Alcorcón, Madrid, Spain|
|Man of the Match||Borja Pérez (Alcorcón)|
|Referee||Javier Turienzo Álvarez|
Alcorconazo is the name given to one of the 2009–10 Copa del Rey round of 32 eliminatories by the supporters and the Spanish sports press. It received this name because of the stunning defeat of Real Madrid, one of the biggest teams in Spanish football, by AD Alcorcón, a modest team which then played in the third-tier Segunda División B.
This defeat was a lead sports story throughout Europe, being the title page in British, French and Italian publications. It also marked a rise to relative prominence for the suburban Madrid club; in what may or may not have been a coincidence, Alcorcón began a major stadium renovation project the following month.
The half-time substitution of Guti when the score was 3–0 and when he was booked before was another topic in the Spanish press because of words exchanged between the player and his coach, Manuel Pellegrini.
It generated superstition and the number of the 4–0 day, 27 October 2009, (27,109) was one of the best-selling lottery tickets on Christmas 2009.
Both matches were broadcast to the entire country on Canal +.
Contrast between Real and Alcorcón
The two competing sides had significantly differing financial support. The annual salaries of Alcorcón's matchday squad added up to less than €1 million, compared to the €110 million salary of Real's squad. Real had spent €254 million on new signings the previous summer, out of a €420 million annual budget at the time. On the day before the first leg of the cup-tie versus Alcorcón, one of Real's corporate sponsors gave the entire senior squad new cars worth a total of €2 million. The average annual salary of an Alcorcón player at the time, €36,000, was less than Cristiano Ronaldo (who did not play in the match due to injury) made in a day that season. At the time of the match, Real Madrid's youth side played in Segunda B alongside Alcorcón—and had lost only once in seven previous meetings between the two.
Round of 32
|Team 1||Agg.||Team 2||1st leg||2nd leg|
27 October 2009
|Borja Pérez 16', 53'
Arbeloa 22' (o.g.)
Man of the Match:
- Alcorconazo, El País.com (Spanish), October 27, 2009
- Minnows knock Madrid out of cup BBC Sport, November 11, 2009
- Alcorcon donne la leçon au Real France Football (French), October 28, 2009
- Real una débacle storica perde 4-0 con squadra di C Gazzetta.it (Italian), October 27, 2009
- Pellegrini y Guti discutieron en el descanso y el jugador mandó al técnico a tomar por el c*** MARCA.com (Spanish), October 28, 2009
- ¿Tiene el 27109?, Leonoticias.com (Spanish), November 30, 2009
- Lowe, Sid (28 October 2009). "Manuel Pellegrini is on the ropes after Real Madrid's greatest humiliation". guardian.co.uk. Retrieved 20 May 2012.