Alderney Steam Packet Company
|Successor||St. Malo & Binic Steam Ship Company Ltd|
|Alderney, Guernsey, Sark, Cherbourg|
Courier I and Courier II
The origins of the company lie with the construction of the initial vessel Courier I which was launched on 26 February 1876 by the residents of Alderney and Courier II in 1883. Courier II cost £8,000.(£703,032 as of 2015),. The Couriers were built by Day and Summers, Northam in Southampton.
In 1897 the owners of the two Courier vessels formed the Alderney Steam Packet Company to operate these shipping services.
In 1913, the Courier I had been sold to Italian owners. She was renamed the Aydon and sailed from Guernsey on 3 February 1913 bound for Naples via Dartmouth. She was then to proceed to Turkey to be used as a passenger steamer in and around Constantinople.
In 1920 they purchased Helper, and a regular service to Sark started on 1 April. Helper had been built for the West Cornwall Railway in 1873 by William Allsup of Preston as the Sir Francis Drake. She was renamed Helper in 1908 when a new Sir Francis Drake was introduced. During the First World War she ferried service personnel to Portland Naval Base. In 1919 Helper was sold to Cosens & Co for seasonal excursions out of Weymouth to Lulworth Cove and Lyme Bay. Helper was withdrawn in 1926 and broken up for scrap.
In 1929 the Alderney Steam Packet Company entered liquidation, but a new company of the same name was registered in Guernsey. However, this new company did not trade for long, as in March 1931 its goodwill and Courier II was acquired by the St. Malo & Binic Steam Ship Company Ltd., which became the Guernsey, Alderney & Sark Steam Ship Company Ltd. to reflect its current trade in May 1933.
- Courier I 1883 - 1913 (Sold to Italy and then Turkey)
- Courier II 1883 - 1931 (survived with another company after 1931)
- PS Helper 1920 - 1926
- RMS Riduna 1926 - 1931
- Ships monthly, Volume 10. 1975
- UK CPI inflation numbers based on data available from Gregory Clark (2014), "What Were the British Earnings and Prices Then? (New Series)" MeasuringWorth.
- Sea breezes: the ship lovers' digest, Volumes 13-14, Pacific Steam Navigation Company, C. Bichell, 1952
- Guernseythrough the lens, including Alderney, Sark, Herm and Jethou: photographs taken before 1914 Victor Coysh, Carel Toms, 1978