|Bishop of Lindisfarne
Bishop of Durham
|See||Diocese of Lindisfarne
Diocese of Durham
Since the late 9th century the see of Lindisfarne was based in Chester-le-Street because of constant attacks from invading Danes. However in 994 King Æthelred II of England had paid a Danegeld (protection money) to King Sweyn I of Denmark and King Olaf I of Norway in return for peace. The pay-off worked and there followed a period of freedom from Viking raids. This encouraged Aldhun to return the remains of Cuthbert of Lindisfarne to their original resting place at Lindisfarne, and to reinstate the diocese there.
En route to their destination however Aldhun claimed to have received a vision from Cuthbert saying that the saint's remains should be laid to rest at Durham. The monks detoured then to Durham, and the title Bishop of Lindisfarne was transferred to Bishop of Durham. The removal of the see from Chester-le-Street to Durham took place in 995. Symeon of Durham is the main source for the moving of the see, and he states that Uhtred the Bold helped the monks clear the site of the new cathedral, which was consecrated in 998.
Aldhun's daughter Ecgfrida married first Uhtred the Bold who was Earl of Northumbria from 1006 to 1016. After he repudiated her, she married a northern thegn Kilvert. The marriage probably took place close to the time when Uhtred helped her father move the see to Durham. Their son Ealdred was the grandfather of Waltheof, Earl of Northumbria.
- Fryde, et al. Handbook of British Chronology p. 216
- Fletcher Bloodfeud p. 70
- Rollason "Aldhun" Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
- Stenton Anglo-Saxon England p. 418 footnote 2
- Williams Æthelred the Unready pp. 72–73
- Fletcher Bloodfeud p. 75-76
- Fletcher, R. A. (2003). Bloodfeud: Murder and Revenge in Anglo-Saxon England. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-516136-X.
- Fryde, E. B.; Greenway, D. E.; Porter, S.; Roy, I. (1996). Handbook of British Chronology (Third revised ed.). Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-521-56350-X.
- Rollason, David (2004). "Aldhun (d. 1018)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography ((subscription or UK public library membership required)) . Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/309. Retrieved 16 January 2008.
- Stenton, F. M. (1971). Anglo-Saxon England (Third ed.). Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-280139-5.
- Williams, Ann (2003). Æthelred the Unready: The Ill-Counselled King. London: Hambledon & London. ISBN 1-85285-382-4.
|Catholic Church titles|
|Bishop of Lindisfarne
as Bishop of Durham
as Bishop of Lindisfarne
|Bishop of Durham