Aldon Smith in 2012
No. 99 San Francisco 49ers
|Date of birth:September 25, 1989|
|Place of birth: Greenwood, Mississippi|
|High school: Raytown (MO)|
|NFL Draft: 2011 / Round: 1 / Pick: 7|
|Debuted in 2011 for the San Francisco 49ers|
|Roster status: Active|
Career highlights and awards
Career NFL statistics as of 2014
Aldon Jacarus Smith (born September 25, 1989) is an American football outside linebacker for the San Francisco 49ers of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football for the University of Missouri. He was chosen by the 49ers with the seventh overall pick in the 2011 NFL Draft.
Smith was born in Greenwood, Mississippi. He attended Raytown High School in Raytown, Missouri, where he played for the Raytown Bluejays high school football team. As a senior he recorded 60 tackles, 21 tackles for loss, 12 sacks, while adding 7 forced fumbles, 1 blocked punt and 1 safety on defense, whilst on offense he caught 34 passes for 570 yards and 4 touchdowns as a tight end.
Considered only a three-star recruit by Rivals.com, Smith was considered the No. 5 overall prospect (any position) in the state of Missouri, as well as the No. 27 strongside defensive end in the nation. Smith chose Mizzou over Nebraska, Kansas and Kansas State, among many others.
|Name||Hometown||High school / college||Height||Weight||40‡||Commit date|
|Raytown, Missouri||Raytown||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)||235 lb (107 kg)||4.68||Jul 8, 2007|
|Scout: Rivals: 247Sports:|
|Overall recruiting rankings: Scout: 24 Rivals: 27 (SDE) 247Sports: 34 (SDE)|
Smith played for the Missouri Tigers football team while attending the University of Missouri from 2008 to 2010. After being redshirted as a freshman in 2008, he started 11 of 13 games at defensive end in 2009. He finished the season with 60 tackles and 11 sacks. He was named the Big 12 Defensive Freshman of the Year and a first team freshman All-American. As a sophomore in 2010 he played in nine games, recording 48 tackles and six sacks.
College awards and honors
- 2009 First-team Freshman All-American (College Football News, Phil Steele)
- 2009 Big 12 Defensive Newcomer of the Year (Associated Press)
- 2009 Big 12 Defensive Freshman of the Year (Coaches)
- 2009 Hendricks Award Watch List
- 2009 Second-team All-Big 12 (Associated Press)
- 2009 Honorable mention All-Big 12 (Coaches)
- 2009 Team Defensive Lineman of the Year Award
- 2009 Team Freshman of the Year Award
2011 NFL Draft
Playing as a defensive end at Missouri, Smith was considered a "DE/OLB prospect" by most NFL scouts and was considered a strong edge run defender as 4-3 end or 3-4 linebacker. Many scouts had compared him to DeMarcus Ware. Prior to the 2011 NFL Draft he was projected to selected in the mid-late first round by mock draft analysis. On Draft day, the San Francisco 49ers decided to draft Smith with the 7th overall pick.
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP||Wonderlic|
|6 ft 4¼ in||263 lb||35⅜ in||10 in||4.74 s||1.66 s||2.70 s||4.50 s||7.19 s||34 in||9 ft 10 in||20 reps||x|
|All values from NFL Combine|
Smith did not start but did make his NFL debut against the Seattle Seahawks. In a match against the Philadelphia Eagles in week 4 he recorded his first sack taking down Michael Vick. The next 2 weeks Smith would win the Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Week in victories against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Detroit Lions. After a strong month of October, Smith became the first 49ers player since Patrick Willis in 2007 to earn the NFL Rookie of the Month, he recorded 13 tackles, 6.5 sacks including 1 that forced a safety as he helped San Francisco to a 6-1 record. In Week 15 Smith recorded 2.5 sacks against the Pittsburgh Steelers. He also surpassed Charles Haley for the 49ers record for most sacks by a rookie in a single season with 13.0 sacks. He finished with 37 total tackles, four pass deflections, two forced fumbles, and 14 sacks. Smith was half a sack shy of tying the all-time rookie sack record held by Jevon Kearse despite not starting a single game in his rookie season. He was named Defensive Rookie of the Year by Pro Football Writers of America, and finished second to Von Miller for the Associated Press NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year Award 
After being used only as a situational pass rusher throughout his rookie season, Aldon Smith became a full-time starter in 2012. In Week 11 he set a Monday Night Football record by recording 5.5 sacks against the Chicago Bears. The next week, in a game against the New Orleans Saints, he surpassed Reggie White as the fastest player in league history to record his 30th career sack, doing so in 27 games. The next week, against the St. Louis Rams, Smith broke another of White's records by recording 31.5 sacks in his first two seasons. In that same game, he tied Fred Dean's franchise record of 17.5 sacks in one season. On the NFL Networks Top 100 players of 2013 the players voted him the seventh best player in the league entering the 2013 season, which made him the second highest ever debutant and second highest defensive player on the list, both behind J. J. Watt. He was also voted the San Francisco 49ers MVP in 2012.
Smith got off to a fast start during the 2013 season getting 4.5 sacks in the first three games, but on September 20th. Smith was involved in a single vehicle accident in San Jose, California. He was subsequently arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence and possession of marijuana. After the loss to the Indianapolis Colts in the third week of the football season, he voluntarily entered a rehabilitation facility, to be put onto the non-football injury list with an indefinite leave of absence.
Smith missed 5 games in rehabilitation, he would return to the team in week 10 vs. the Carolina Panthers but in a backup role, he would not start a game until week 13 vs the St. Louis Rams. He ended the season strong finishing with 34 tackles and 8.5 sacks. Smith was ranked #33 in the NFL Top 100 Players of 2014.
In week 11, Smith was reinstated after his 9-game suspension.
|2011||San Francisco 49ers||16||37||31||6||14.0||4||--||--||--||--||2||1|
|2012||San Francisco 49ers||16||66||50||16||19.5||1||1||6||6||0||3||--|
|2013||San Francisco 49ers||11||34||29||5||8.5||0||--||--||--||--||0||--|
|2014||San Francisco 49ers||7||15||10||5||2.0||0||--||--||--||--||0||--|
|Career||San Francisco 49ers||152||120||32||44.0||5||1||6||6||0||5||1|
|2011||San Francisco 49ers||2||16||8||8||2.0||--||--||--||--||--||1||--|
|2012||San Francisco 49ers||3||5||4||1||0.0||--||--||--||--||--||1||1|
|2013||San Francisco 49ers||3||11||5||6||3.5||--||--||--||--||--||1||1|
On June 30, 2012, Smith was believed to have suffered stab wounds when attempting to break up a fight at a party at his residence. Two other people were shot in the incident. On October 9, 2013, Smith was charged with "three felony counts of illegal possession of an assault weapon" relating to the stabbing incident. The charges were later reduced to misdemeanors.
On September 20, 2013, Smith was involved in a single vehicle accident in San Jose, California. He was subsequently arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence and possession of marijuana. After the loss to the Indianapolis Colts in the third week of the football season, he voluntarily entered a rehabilitation facility, to be put onto the non-football injury list with an indefinite leave of absence.
On April 13, 2014, Smith was detained and arrested following an incident at the Los Angeles International Airport in which Smith became belligerent and uncooperative with a TSA agent, who alleged Smith claimed he was carrying a bomb. After interviews revealed that Smith did not clearly state he was carrying a bomb, the Los Angeles City Attorney decided to drop the charges. Aldon Smith was suspended for 9 games for the 2014 season.
- Barrows, Matt. "49ers Blog and Q&A: Aldon Smith: rookie sack record but no Pro Bowl?". Blogs.sacbee.com. Retrieved 2011-12-28.
- "Aldon Smith Stats - San Francisco 49ers - ESPN". Espn.go.com. Retrieved 2011-12-28.
- Rivals Page
- 2009 All-Big 12 Football Awards Announced
- Missouri DE Aldon Smith enters NFL Draft
- Aldon Smith Scouting Report « PRO Prospects
- "Aldon Smith - 2011 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile", NFLDraftScout.com
- ESPN - Aldon Smith has shot at rookie sack record
- Smith earns 49ers' rookie sack record
- 49ers Aldon Smith Named 2011 PFW/PFWA Defensive Rookie of the Year - SB Nation Bay Area
- 49ers' Aldon Smith top defensive rookie? - NFC West Blog - ESPN
- Sando, Mike. "Around the NFC West: Aldon Smith's night". ESPN.
- Michael David Smith (November 26, 2012). "Aldon Smith passes Reggie White as fastest NFL player to 30 sacks". ProFootballTalk. NBC Sports. Retrieved 2012-11-29.
- Cam Inman (12/02/12). "San Francisco 49ers notebook: Aldon Smith ties Fred Dean's sacks record.". San Jose Mercury News. Retrieved 2012-12-03. Check date values in:
- Top 100 players of 2013 - Aldon Smith
- Aldon Smith will take indefinite leave of absence
- Mike Florio (November 11, 2014). "Aldon Smith returns to the 49erss". ProFootballTalk. NBC Sports. Retrieved 2014-11-11.
- "Most Popular E-mail Newsletter". USA Today. 2012-01-28.
- Branch, Eric (2012-01-29). "49ers' star rookie Aldon Smith accused of DUI". The San Francisco Chronicle.
- NFL.com Wire Reports (July 1, 2012). "Aldon Smith reportedly stabbed at party; 49ers: Injuries 'minor'". NFL Enterprises LLC. Retrieved August 2, 2012.
- http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000248867/article/aldon-smith-will-take-indefinite-leave-of-absence Aldon Smith will take indefinite leave of absence
- Reyes, Lorenzo (14 April 2014). "Aldon Smith arrested on false bomb report charge". http://www.usatoday.com/. USA Today. Retrieved 14 April 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Aldon Smith.|
- Career statistics and player information from NFL.com • ESPN • Pro-Football-Reference
- Missouri Tigers bio
- San Francisco 49ers bio