Alec Hanley Bemis
Alec Hanley Bemis is a writer and manager for creative cultural projects who lives in New York City.
In 2001, Bemis co-founded Brassland with Aaron and Bryce Dessner who are known for their prominent role in American independent music (i.e. performing roles in The National and Clogs, and curatorial roles in the Dark Was the Night compilation and MusicNOW Festival). Brassland was initially created as a vehicle to release the debut recordings by The National and Clogs. Today it documents the work of a community of musicians surrounding The National.
It has been called "the record label at the centre of New York's other music scene" and "a focus for some of the city's most intriguing and creative musicians." Current signings include Jherek Bischoff, Buke & Gass, Clogs, Doveman and People Get Ready. It has previously released key projects by Nico Muhly and Erik Friedlander.
Bemis has also worked as a manager and consultant with artists including !!!, Dirty Projectors, and Alexi Murdoch, and entities such as All Tomorrow's Parties and Cantaloupe Music. He has served on the board of directors for both WYBC and Manhattan New Music Project, a non-profit that sends musicians to teach in New York City schools.
Previous to starting the label Bemis had an active career as a writer. In the early 2000s he worked as a journalist for LA Weekly, the New York Times, The New Yorker and the Los Angeles Times. Previous to that, in the 1990s, he published Jaboni Youth fanzine, focusing on the nascent American independent music scene. Today he maintains a blog and occasionally contributes to Arcade, a humanities site published by Stanford University.
Discography (as Project Producer, Coordinator and A&R)
- Baby Dayliner - High Heart & Low Estate
- Baby Dayliner - Critics Pass Away
- Buke & Gass - Riposte
- Clogs - Thom's Night Out
- Clogs - Lullaby for Sue
- Clogs - Stick Music
- Clogs - Lantern
- Clogs - Veil Waltz EP
- Clogs - The Creatures in the Garden of Lady Walton
- Clogs - Last Song EP
- Devastations - Devastations
- Devastations - Coal
- Doveman - With My Left Hand I Raise the Dead
- Doveman - Footloose
- Doveman - The Conformist
- Erik Friedlander - Maldoror
- The National - The National
- The National - Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers
- The National - Cherry Tree
- Pela - All In Time EP
Cantaloupe Music albums
- Alarm Will Sound - Michael Gordon: Van Gogh
- Bang on a Can All-Stars - Brian Eno: Music for Airports (Live)
- Burkina Electric - Paspanga
- Arnold Dreyblatt - Resonant Relations
- Florent Ghys - Baroque Tardif: Soli
- Michael Gordon - [purgatorio] POPOPERA
- Michael Harrison - Revelation: Music in Pure Intonation
- Phil Kline - John the Revelator
- David Lang - Music From the Film (Untitled)
- Lisa Moore - Seven: Music by Don Byron
- Tristan Perich - 1-Bit Music
- Sentieri Selvaggi - Plays Gavin Bryars & Philip Glass
- Julia Wolfe - Dark Full Ride: Music in Multiples
- Ian Axel - This is the New Year
- Alexi Murdoch - Towards the Sun
- "Brassland". Brassland.org. Archived from the original on 28 June 2010. Retrieved 2010-06-13.
- Snapes, Laura (2011-06-16). "The Guardian". London: Guardian.co.uk/. Retrieved 2011-09-04.
- "Manhattan New Music Project > Staff & Board". Mnmp.org. Archived from the original on 16 July 2010. Retrieved 2010-06-13.
- "brassland" (in French). w-h-y ?. 2003-10-29. Retrieved 2010-06-13.
- "Brassland > About Us". Brassland.org. Retrieved 2010-06-13.
- "NYTimes.com search query". NYTimes.com. Retrieved 2010-06-13.
- "NewYorker.com search query". Newyorker.com. Retrieved 2010-06-13.
- "AHB's Teenage Kicks". Ahb.brassland.org. Retrieved 2010-06-13.
- "Arcade > Alec Hanley Bemis's blog". Arcade.stanford.edu. Retrieved 2010-06-13.
- AlecHanleyBemis.com (writing archive site)
- Alec Hanley Bemis's blog
- A series of video interviews at Artists House Music