||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification, as it includes attribution to IMDb. (February 2010)|
Alec Lorimore (born October 21, 1948) is a twice Academy Award-nominated film producer and screenwriter who has concentrated his focus in creating giant screen, Imax documentary films. He is credited as one of the three producers of 1998 Imax film Everest, which had generated over $140 million in worldwide box office, making it the highest grossing Imax documentary film (as of February, 2010).
He was first nominated (with Greg MacGillivay) for an Academy Award for Documentary Short Subject in 1995 for The Living Sea, and the two men were subsequently nominated for Dolphins in the same Academy category in 2000. Other films include The Magic of Flight (Producer) and At Sea (Writer, Producer), for which he received the Alfred Thayer Mahan Award for Literary Achievement from the Navy League of the United States.
Previous to his involvement in the Imax industry he worked for over ten years as a screenwriter, and wrote a number of feature film scripts which were either purchased or commissioned by the major studios, including Warner Brothers, Columbia Pictures, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, and Paramount Pictures, and worked with such producers as Jerry Bruckheimer, Jonathan Taplin, Ray Stark, and Steve Tisch.
He has served on the Informal Science Review Panel of the National Science Foundation (NSF), which determines which media projects receive NSF grants, as well as on the Board of Directors of the Environmental Media Association (EMA), creators of the Green Seal program for environmentally sustainable motion picture and television production practices.
He has been a member of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences since 1995. At present he is on the Nominating and the Executive Committees of the Academy’s Documentary Branch.
- Behold Hawaii (1982): writer
- Dance of Life (1982): writer
- Homeland (1990): writer, producer
- At Sea (1992): writer, producer
- The Magic of Flight (1996): producer
- Everest (1998): producer
- Adventures in Wild California (2000): producer
- Dolphins (2000): producer
- Journey into Amazing Caves (2001): producer
- Coral Reef Adventure (2003): producer
- Top Speed (2003): producer
- Greece: Secrets of the Past (2006): producer
- Alec Lorimore at the Internet Movie Database
- "Nominees & Winners for the 73rd Academy Awards". oscars.org. Archived from the original on 5 February 2010. Retrieved February 12, 2010.