Alejandro Domínguez (Argentine footballer)
Domínguez playing for Rubin Kazan in 2009
|Full name||Alejandro Damián Domínguez|
|Date of birth||10 June 1981|
|Place of birth||Lanús, Argentina|
|Height||1.76 m (5 ft 9 1⁄2 in)|
|Playing position||Attacking midfielder|
|2007–2009||Zenit St. Petersburg||46||(7)|
|2011–2012||→ River Plate (loan)||33||(5)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 13 April 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
After playing for second league club Quilmes, Domínguez, nicknamed 'Chori' since he was a teenager, was signed by Argentinian giants River Plate, crowning himself later on as three times Clausura champion with The Millionaires.
Scouted by several European clubs, he ended up signing for Russian side Rubin Kazan, in 2004. During 2006 pre-season Rubin tried to sell him, but they were not satisfied with the amount offered for him and decided to keep him.
Zenit Saint Petersburg
Domínguez was signed by FC Zenit Saint Petersburg for €7 million before the start of 2007 Russian season, breaking the record transfer fee inside the Russian Premier League, however the record was exceeded in 2008, when Danny moved from FC Dynamo Moscow to Zenit Saint Petersburg for a fee well above 30 million euros. One of Domínguez's most notable performances was in the 4–0 UEFA Cup victory over Bayern Munich which sent Zenit to the final of the competition for the first time in the history of the club. Domínguez played exceptionally well and provided 2 assists.
Back to Rubin Kazan
In the 2009-10 UEFA Champions League, Domínguez played well for Rubin, providing the team with goals against Internazionale Milano and FC Dynamo Kiev. He also made an assist to Gökdeniz Karadeniz who scored a stunning match-winning goal against FC Barcelona during the group stage. Rubin Kazan failed to advance to the first knockout round due to a 2–0 loss against Internazionale.
On the summer of 2011, the player contacted his employers at Valencia to negotiate a loan to former club River Plate, which had been relegated for the first time in its history to the second division of Argentina. His gesture was highly appreciated by the fans, and Domínguez featured as one of the team's stars in both attacking midfielder and forward roles for the club, scoring 5 goals, providing numerous assists and functioning as vice-captain.
In late June 2012, after he had achieved the return to the first division with River Plate, Domínguez was told he would not continue to play for River, as the club decided not to negotiate his transfer from Valencia. He left River Plate, alongside top scorer and former captain Fernando Cavenaghi, both stating irreconcilable differences with club president, Daniel Passarella. He didn't stay in Valencia and was contracted at the beginning of August 2012 by Spanish Primera división club Rayo Vallecano, on a one year deal. After signing the contract, he confessed the project they presented him was attractive, but he also chose the club because of the red stripe on the white home shirt, which reminded him of his home team River Plate's kit.
In July 2013, Domínguez Signed a two-year contract with Greek side Olympiakos.
- As of 16 April 2014
|Zenit St. Petersburg||2007||24||3||4||3||7||0||35||6|
Honors and awards
- Top Foreign Player in Russian Premier League according to Sport-Express:
- Russian Footballer of the Year according to Russian Football Union:
- Footballer of the Year in Russia according to Futbol Weekly:
- Footballer of the Year in Russia according to Sport Express:
- "Kurban Berdyev's press conference" (in Russian). FC Rubin official website. 19 January 2006. Retrieved 2 April 2008.
- "Domínguez swaps Rubin for Valencia". UEFA.com. 14 December 2009. Archived from the original on 19 December 2009. Retrieved 16 December 2009.
- ""Nos sentimos traicionados por Passarella", acusan Cavenaghi y "Chori"" (in Spanish). playfutbol. July 2012.
- "Chori Domínguez: "La franja roja es especial para mí"" (in Spanish). AS.com. 18 August 2012.
- Sport Express
- Во вторник РФС вручил главные футбольные премии 2009 года
- Алехандро ДОМИНГЕС ЛУЧШИЙ ПО ОПРОСУ "СЭ" ИГРОК ЧЕМПИОНАТА РОССИИ-2009