|Alejandro Hamed Franco|
|Minister of Foreign Affairs of Paraguay|
|Preceded by||Rubén Ramírez Lezcano|
|Succeeded by||Héctor Lacognata|
Alejandro Hamed Franco (born 1934) Paraguayan politician of Syrian descent who was appointed foreign minister by President Fernando Lugo, a term he served between 2008 - 2009. He is currently nominated to be the Paraguayan ambassador to Uruguay.
|This section requires expansion. (November 2010)|
Alejandro Hamed is of Syrian origin.
In 2008, he was controversially appointed the Foreign Minister of Paraguay by incoming president Fernando Lugo. The United States had him on a blacklist from entering their country or flying on one of their aircraft. After leaving the post in 2009, he was ambassador to Venezuela. As of 2010, he is nominated to become the ambassador to Uruguay.
During his tenure as foreign minister, there were concerns that Paraguay would break ties with Taiwan in favour of China, this was controversial because Paraguay was the only country in South America to recognise Taiwan.
During a visit to Jordan, he discussed with his counterpart the Middle East process. He has also visited Qatar. During a visit to Iran, he told his counterpart that Paraguay was willing to make "mature economic, industrial and agricultural cooperation with Iran." He also said Paraguay would support Venezuela's entry into Mercosur. After Barack Obama's inauguration as US President he said Lugo hoped ties with the US would secure, particularly in the economic field.
He also signed an agreement with the US ambassador to Paraguay, Liliana Ayalde, to amend the Narcotics and Money Laundering Agreement. The new agreement would be used to combat drug trafficking with the US offering US$253,000.
- "Paraguayan Foreign Ministers". Rulers.org. Retrieved 20 August 2013.
- Monroe Doctrine fades away | Viewpoints, Outlook | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle
- Paraguay: The next leftist on the block | The Economist
- Foreign ministers L-R
- Iran in our backyard - Los Angeles Times
- Iran forging ties to Latin America | Viewpoints, Outlook | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle
- Los embajadores politicos acaparan legaciones paraguayas en el exterior. A pesar del reclamo de los escalafonados para priorizar a diplomaticos de carrera - Edicion Impresa - ...
- Taiwan is concerned about Paraguay's intention to recognize China | TopNews
- Taiwan denies 71-million-dollar pledge to new Paraguay government | TopNews
- Foreign ministers of Jordan, Paraguay discuss Mideast peace process | TopNews
- Qatar Morning Post - H.H the Emir Receives Letters from Paraguayan, Mauritanian Presidents
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Islamic Republic of Iran
- The World Trade Review
- Latin American leaders congratulate Obama
- New Amendment to Narcotics and Money Laundering Agreement signed by Ambassador Ayalde and Foreign Minister Hamed (September 30, 2008)
Rubén Ramírez Lezcano
|Paraguayan Minister of Foreign Affairs