Alejandro Toledo and the Magic Tombolinos
|Alejandro Toledo and The Magic Tombolinos|
Alejandro Toledo at Globaltica (2012).
|Origin||London, England, UK|
|Members||Alejandro Toledo, Maurizio Pala, Davide Lufrano-Chavez, Michele Montolli, Marco Quarantotto|
Alejandro Toledo and The Magic Tombolinos are a multicultural 5-piece band based in London, UK. Its current line-up is Alejandro Toledo (Sax, Vocals), Maurizio Pala (Accordion), Davide Lufrano-Chavez (Guitar), Michele Montolli (Double Bass), and Marco Quarantotto (Drums). They are known for their energetic and extravagant performances and their fusion of music genres. The music combines elements of Balkan folk with Western mainstream music, fusing classical music and rock culture, punk and other world music styles.
In 2010, the band was selected by the Fiat Evo Music Rooms competition as one of the current top unsigned bands in the UK, beating 3,000 other bands. They then went on to make a live appearance on Channel 4's Evo Music Rooms programme hosted by Edith Bowman along with bands Faithless and Audio Bullys.
In December 2011 the band appeared on the Rob Brydon Show's Christmas Special (BBC2) alongside guests such as Noel Fielding, Sarah Harding, Rhys Darby & Angelos Epithemiou. To coincide with this appearance the band released a resequenced, remastered and remixed version of their debut album Full Attack, With Sudden Defenses.
Alejandro Toledo and The Magic Tombolinos was formed in London, in 2008, by the classically-trained saxophonist and composer Alejandro Toledo (originally from Cordoba, Argentina). The music of the band is heavily influenced by the UK punk and rock scene, as well as Eastern European Roma and traditional music. The band brings all these influences to bear in their compositions. This musical wanderlust is further enforced by the diverse, international backgrounds of the members of the group, both past and present.
The band has toured tirelessly throughout Europe, making appearances at numerous international festivals. They are often lauded for their intense and energetic performances.
In an interview with fRoots magazine, frontman Alejandro Toledo cites 21st century music among the band's main musical spectrum. The Magic Tombolinos has mentioned Manu Chao, Fanfare Ciocarlia, The Prodigy and Astor Piazzolla as influences as well. 
The band's sound is characterized by lively and energetic rhythms; with virtuosic melodic passages, as well as a certain informality in their approach which allows the audience to get involved and feel close to their music.
- The Rob Brydon Show - Christmas Special on December 19, 2011
- Channel 4 Evo Music Rooms on May 30, 2010
Music festivals 
Alejandro Toledo and The Magic Tombolinos Festival appearances have included:
- Victoria Park Festival on July 28, 2012
- Globaltica Festival on July 28, 2012
- Harbour Fest on July 22, 2012
- Sheep Music Festival on July 20, 2012
- Rhythms Of The World Festival on July 14, 2012
- City of London Festival on July 5, 2012
- Grassington Festival on June 17, 2012
- Big Session Festival on June 16, 2012
- Wychwood Festival on June 8, 2012
- Dorchester Festival on June 3, 2012
- Global Village[disambiguation needed] Festival on May 12, 2012
- Nuts in May Festival on May 4, 2012
- Canterbury Festival on October 15, 2011
- Haarlem Jazz Festival on August 20, 2011
- Broadstairs Festival on August 12, 2011
- Riverside Festival on August 6, 2011
- Womad on July 30, 2010
- Larmer Tree Festival on July 16, 2011
- Festival Zwart on July 9, 2011
- Home Festival on June 25, 2011
- Womad at Bristol Zoo on June 11, 2011
- Musicport World Music Festival on October 23, 2010
- Solfest Festival on August 29, 2010
- Shambala[disambiguation needed] Festival on August 28, 2010
- Boom Festival (Portugal) on August 20, 2010
- Big Chill Festival on August 6, 2010
- Camp Bestival on August 1, 2010
- Cardiff Big Weekend on July 31, 2010
- Secret Garden Festival on July 26, 2010
- Trowbridge Village Pump Festival on July 24, 2010
- Colours of Ostrava (Czech Republic) on July 17, 2010
- United Islands Festival (Czech Republic) on June 26, 2010
- Bestival on September 10, 2009
- Streatham Festival on September 9, 2009
- Neuchatel (Switzerland) Festival on August 10, 2009
- Croydon Festival on August 1, 2009
- Ealing Festival on July 26, 2009
- Glastonbury Festival on June 24, 2009
- Paradise Garden Festival on June 20, 2009
- Trondheim World music festival (Norway) on September 20, 2008
- Bern Strassenmusik festival (Switzerland) on August 12, 2008
- Pflasterspektakel (Austria) on July 22, 2008
- Boreham, Gina (2008-02-05). "The Magic Tombolinos". The Vortex Jazz Club. Retrieved 2010-06-09.
- "Balkan gypsy musicians come to Stroud's music centre". BBC News. 2010-02-22. Retrieved 2010-06-09.
- "The Magic Tombolinos". Evo Music Rooms. Retrieved 2010-06-09.[dead link]
- McKeown, Rory (2010-04-10). "Mercury Marvels: Musician Hayden to appear on Channel 4 show". This is The West Country. Retrieved 2010-06-09.
- "Stoke Newington superband set for the top". Hackney Gazette. 2010-03-06. Retrieved 2010-06-09.