Aleksandr Shymko graduated from Chernovtcy Music S. Vorobkevich College as pianist. In 1998 he was studying composition in the class of professor Y. Ischenko at the National Music P.I. Tchaikovsky Academy of Ukraine and in 2002 graduated there with diploma of master. In 2002-2005 he continued study with post-graduate education as assistant in the composition department in athe academy.
Since 2003 he has been a member of the National Composer's Union of Ukraine and, from a year later, the head of the Kiev youth association in National Composer's Union of Ukraine. In 2004 he was awarded the prize of the Kiev Mayor.
In the same year he won the scholarship “Gaude Polonia” of the minister of culture of Poland. In 2005 he studied composition with professor Aleksander Lason in Music Academy named for K. Szymanowsky (Katowice, Poland). In 2006 he was given a grant by the Ernst von Siemens Foundation. Іn 2007 he was awarded the L. Revutsky Prize of the Ministry of culture and arts of Ukraine. He was a member of the organizing committee of the 17th International Festival “Music Season’s premieres”. In 2007 he became a member of National Composer’s Union administration. Since September 2007 he is the head of the musical department of L. Ukrainka’s National academic theatre of Russian drama. The organizer and music director of the festival "Music Tribune Kiev Youth" (2008).
Author of many works that were performed in such festivals as “Music Season’s premieres” (2004, 2006 Kiev), International Festival “Kiev Music Fest” (2005), 19th International Festival “Warsaw Musical Meetings”, 4th International Festival “New music”- Festiwal Muzyki Nowej (Bytom, Poland), 5th Summer Festival in Rycerka (Poland), "Contem-ucha"- a series of concerts of contemporary music in Lodz Philharmony (Poland) and others.
Among performers there were such as State National Academic Symfonic Orchestra of Ukraine, National Radio Symfonic Orchestra of Ukraine, chamber orchestra of Dnepropetrovsk Organ Hall, chamber orchestra “Archi”, “Orkiestra Muzyki Nowej” New Music Orchestra (Poland), trio “Taratto” (Poland), harp trio Lorien (Poland) and others.
- The Sun's Chosen One (Обранець Сонця) (2006); libretto by Alla Roubina
- Symphony No.1 (2002–2003)
- Symphony No.2 "Trilogy of Life" (Трилогія Життя) (2005–2006)
- Genesis (2006)
- Chamber orchestra
- The Fairy-Tale Book (2003–2005)
- Aquarius Time (Час Водолія) for 2 violins, horn, piano and string orchestra (2005, 2007)
- Hymn of Solitude (Гімн Самотності) for soprano and chamber orchestra (2007); text by Halina Poświatowska
- Concerto No.1 for piano and orchestra (2001–2002)
- Concerto No.2 for piano and orchestra (2006–2007)
- Concerto for violin and string orchestra (2005)
- Chamber music
- Two Birds (Два Птахи) for 2 flutes (2004)
- Silence (Тиша) for piano and harp (2005)
- Three Dialogues (2005)
- The Book of Night Secrets (Книга таємниць ночі) for flute, viola and harp (2005)
- String Quartet (2005)
- Storm Petrel (Буревісник) (1997)
- Sharme (2002)
- Space (Пространства) (2007)
- Hymn to the Sun (Гімн сонцю) for chorus and orchestra (2003); text by Maximilian Voloshyn
- The Heavenly Mechanics (Небесна Механіка) for chorus and orchestra (2003–2004)
- Songs of the Sea (Пісні Моря) for a cappella chorus (2006–2007); text by Maria Druzhko