Gerber was born in Baden-Württemberg and was discovered by a German model agency at the age of 13. She participated in regional beauty contests. She also had brief guest appearances on several German TV series and has appeared in a number of German TV shows.
TV hosting and acting
After numerous appearances on German IPTV channels she started hosting the Zurich Nightlife show usgang.tv (usgang means "going out"/"clubbing" in Swiss German).
German guestworker controversy
Alena Gerber became particularly famous in Switzerland when she was at the center of a xenophobic controversy between the conservative Swiss People's Party (Schweizerische Volkspartei) and German guest workers. The Swiss People's Party's stance was the too many German foreigners would already overcrowd Switzerland, destroy its cultural identity and take away the citizen's jobs. The German and Swiss yellow press newspapers BILD and Blick kept the issue in the media for several months, thereby indirectly contributing to Gerber's increasing popularity. The argument ended, when People's Party officials and Alena Gerber reconciled in public in late 2009.
Swiss television named Alena Gerber "one of the most prominent examples of Anti-German sentiment".
- Street ParadeTV
- Schweizer Politiker will deutsches Playboy-Model rauswerfen weil das Playmate kein Schwyzerduetsch kann - News - Bild.de
- Deutsche raus? SVP-Politiker mobben deutsche Moderatorin! – TV – Blick
- Playboy-Model Alena Gerber bläst Schweizern den Marsch: Lest mal, was bei uns in Deutschland viel besser ist - News - Bild.de
- „Playmate Alena zähmt SVP-Hardliner Erich Hess“, Blick, 1. November 2009
- „Reporter: Ungeliebte Deutsche – Vom Störfaktor zum Hassobjekt“, fernsehen.ch blog, 4. Dezember 2009